r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjf3jps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 8:00pm
We are picking up our 178 (2700 lbs) with a 2009 Chevy equinox rated for 3500 - have some concerns as to if it will be up to the task
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 1:10am
Our TV is rated the same, but we have a 171 (which is lighter) and it's barely acceptable. What engine is in the equinox?
zjf3jps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjf3jps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 7:34pm
3.4L V6
bhamster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:23pm
It's probably fine, just don't plan on setting any speed records.
zjf3jps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjf3jps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 5:00pm
Upgraded too Toyota Tacoma think this will be much better than the equinox now just got to get the rpod
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 8:40am
Greetings one and all,

Just returned home from a 7 State tour. Went from sea level  to 7000 FT.  My Jeep made it home without any issues but it was slow go through all climbs.  Could only drive at 35 MPH in the hardest climbs.  Most grades such as the Grapevine(Bakesfield CA.) Ran around 40-50 M.P.H.  AVG. Fuel uses over 3200 miles 10.3 M.P.G.

The bottom line is the Jeep is O.K. for short hauls and local areas,if you plan on going into high country buy something larger.

The Jeep was always running in the upper range of it's power.  Did not over heat, Trans ran cool with the extra Trans cooler I installed.

With all that said I have traded the Jeep in for a 2010 Ford F150 with all the bells and whistles. 

Looking forward to our get together in Seaside OR. in Aug.
Hope this helps others looking for a Tow Car.

WWRBeer 
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
sammycamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 8:55am
Ok. I'm loosing track.

What is the point of an rPod?

We all know we're giving up creature comforts for such a small camper. Why shoud anyone buy an rPod if we are convincing ourselves that it takes a Suburban to pull it?

Sam
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 9:01am
I had a Tacoma V6 with Standard Trans anyway - - pulls it fine and with the manual gears I can control my RPM and fuel consumption a bit better.

No need for a Suburban   ...at least in my experience. We live in Wyoming and have travelled back/forth to the east coast. Nothing west of Wyoming yet.

MJ
===================================================

Originally posted by sammycamper sammycamper wrote:

Ok. I'm loosing track.

What is the point of an rPod?

We all know we're giving up creature comforts for such a small camper. Why shoud anyone buy an rPod if we are convincing ourselves that it takes a Suburban to pull it?

Sam
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 9:14am
Great question!. The R-Pod is less than 20 feet in length and just over 6 feet in width. That alone is quite an advantage. The AC unit in our R-Pod will keep it so cold you could store meat under the bunk bed. (Just kidding). The trailer is easy to heat and easy to cool. You can pull the trailer with something quite less than 300HP, but if you want to go up steep climbs at near 55mph, you are going to need the extra HP or torque. If you want the ability to merge on to Interstate highways with a comfortable amount of acceleration it wouldn't be bad to own a powerful vehicle. I can't imagine merging on an uphill ramp with anything much less then what I have, but every person has different expectations.  
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 9:24am
There are other issues to consider in addition to the size of the engine. We've traveled all over the country including the Rockies and Ozarks for the past 3 years towing our 177 with a 3.3 liter V6 Hybrid. Never had any problems and could always maintain the speed limit going uphill.
HOWEVER, I think the high-torque electric motors assisting the v6 along with the electronic continuously variable (no shift points) transmission, factory towing package (trans cooler, larger radiator),  and AWD make a big difference. We've never had any problems summoning whatever power we needed to get the job done but I don't know if that would be the case with the same car and same engine but without those options.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 40>
  Share Topic