r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 12:11pm
It has been years since I posted.  I read that the base weight of the camper is when it is totally empty...no refrigerator etc.  Has anyone taken their camper to a truck scale?  What did it weigh when it was reasonably packed?  I have a vintage 171.  We have always had to drive 55mph with a Rave 4 with 6 and tow package. Thanks, Linda
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 12:20am
My 172 weighed 565 lbs. more than the nameplate stated weight.  Which may explain why some are having trouble towing with V6"s. I was told(by my dealer), that the weight on the nameplate did not include the accessories, but on the other forum; someone said that FR confirmed that the Pods are weighed out the door, and it"s an accurate weight ????  Who knows for sure !!!
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 8:26am
FR does in fact weigh it's trailers on the way out the door (at least at the R-Pod/Surveyor Factory).

Seen it. However, I will note that coming off the factory floor, they have no battery, and an empty propane tank.

That in no way accounts for a #500+ difference though. ?? Perhaps your pod was ordered without A/C, Microwave etc, and the dealer added them?? (Happens). Also when FR weighs it, it's completely dry. It isn't when we weigh it. few gallons here and there add up.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 12:23pm
Somewhere inside one the camper cabinets should be a sticker stating the weight as it left the factory.
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
sandlapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandlapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 10:28am

I just purchases this R Pod and this is my first time to pull it with my 2013 Ford Escape. This is at the High Point of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am happy to say the Ford Escape with the eco boast 4 cylinder engine  did extremely well pulling it up the steep mountain roads. This is my 4th trailer combo and the Ford escape is the best Tow vehicle I ever had.

Smile
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 10:38am
Just for giggles, have you tried using the auto-park feature with the trailer hooked up? I've always wondered how that would work.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

Just for giggles, have you tried using the auto-park feature with the trailer hooked up? I've always wondered how that would work.

We just traded our car for a car that has the park assist feature.

I can report to you that we have to turn the park assist off when we're hooked up to the rpod or the beeping noise telling you you're close to something behind you won't stop. Also, the blind spot indicator is only good for alerting you that something is along side of your CAR. It doesn't tell you when something is along side of your RPOD.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 6:32pm
Boy, that looks a really long R-Pod. Or, a real short Escape.
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
rick350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 7:39am
We had a 6 cyl. 2006 Escape that we had to part with as it struggled to pull our 177. And the towing capacity was 3500lbs. If your pulling with a 4 cyl, thats great but don't know how you do it as the towing capacity is 1500 lbs.
sandlapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandlapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 8:44am
I really have only tried using in twice to see if it works and it does. You think I could find a parking space big enough to try it with the trailer attached? LOLBig smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 40>
  Share Topic