r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 8:56am
With the Eco-Boost 2.0, 4 wheel drive and a class II towing package, the towing capacity is 3500#. From Ford's web site for a 2014 model. One would assume Ford had a fudge factor built in.

Originally posted by rick350 rick350 wrote:

We had a 6 cyl. 2006 Escape that we had to part with as it struggled to pull our 177. And the towing capacity was 3500lbs. If your pulling with a 4 cyl, thats great but don't know how you do it as the towing capacity is 1500 lbs.
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
sandlapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandlapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 9:02am
The towing capacity for my Ford escape is 3500 pounds with the factory installed towing package. When it  comes to towing I am very knowledgeable as I towed with several different vehicles over the years many thousands of miles. I also own a Ford E 350 Van with a diesel engine and trailer package. It will not pull the R pod one bit better and I actually prefer towing with the Escape. I get much better gas mileage and the handling is as good as it gets.
I towed it 700 miles from Ohio to my home in South Carolina. I got 16 to 17 MPh on the flat roads and 13 to 14 in the mountains except the one that was the steepest. There I  only got 13 Mph. The ECO Boast engine really performs extremely well and that gas mileage is fantastic.

I had to tow in through the mountains on the way home and camp in it on the way. It handle the steep climbs like a dream and I went up some of the steepest roads in the mountains there is. The engine did not struggle at all and performed way beyond my expectation.
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 9:34am
While the Ford w/ecoboost may tow well, aren't you close to the limit you can tow, considering passengers and cargo in the Ford?
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
sammycamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 10:18am
Originally posted by marc515 marc515 wrote:

While the Ford w/ecoboost may tow well, aren't you close to the limit you can tow, considering passengers and cargo in the Ford?
"Close to the limit" seems like a perfectly sensible place for us to be unless we have money and an environment to burn.

Sam
sandlapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandlapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 4:59pm
Depends on what you call close. I don't intend to debate it. 
NCRaiderFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCRaiderFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 6:48am

The R-Pod was advertised when it came out as light weight and easy to tow.  This would give consumers the opportunity to purchase a nice little camper without having to purchase a large truck for towing.  We have towed our camper with a 06 4-Runner the entire time we've had it.  As far as weight goes the 4-Runner has no problem towing the R-Pod.  At lower speeds you can't tell you have the camper behind you.  Where we experience issues is on the highway when you get above let's say about 55 miles per hour but diffidently at 65-70.  It's almost like you have parachute behind you.  Now I do not drive or try to drive 70 miles per hour the entire time when I have the camper behind us but sometimes on larger highways you need to run at least 65.  The other time I knew I had a load for the 4-Runner was when we pulled the camper through the mountains going from North Carolina to Tennessee.  It was tough on the 4-Runner and actually for a little bit (about half way up) our gas mileage dropped to 8 miles a gallon.  I’m not trying to say that the 4-Runner is weak or that the R-Pod is heavier/harder to tow than advertise.  I am saying that in order to maximize the life of your tow vehicle it’s better to have a higher towing capacity or a little more power so the tow isn’t so hard on everything.  Everybody's different, I don't want to wear out my 4-Runner towing my camper.  I love them both.    

N.C. Campers
Ric, Susan, Paige
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 7:16am
NC - Because of wind resistance on the pod's huge frontal area, I think a lot of TV/Pod combos hit a "wall" around 60 to 65 mph, not just 4Runners.

We only get 8 mpg at speeds of 65-70 on the flats. But if we slow down to 60, we can get 13+ mpg.

Take care,
-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:37am
Originally posted by sandlapper sandlapper wrote:

Depends on what you call close. I don't intend to debate it. 
Sandlapper, I hope you realize that I completely support your position. I've had a fair amount of towing experience myself. Many, many moons ago, we had two 4-cylinder Isuzu Troopers in a row that we used for towing a couple different campers and a 19-foot cruiser sailboat. The sailboat and at least one of those campers were just about at the limit of the Toopers' rating, but it did a fine job of towing and carrying my wife, our two little daughters, our German Shepherd, our bicycles, and me.

I find this forum very helpful and useful; but I resist and resent what seems to be the prevailing notion that we are doing something unsafe when we tow with a right-sized vehicle rather than an over-sized vehicle. I like hearing from other rPod owners who are having good results with their properly equipped 4- and 6-cylinder TV's. Virtually every time that someone posts a report like yours, they come under attack here.

The single biggest reason I bought the rPod was easy towing with our Trailblazer, or something even a bit smaller if we choose to buy such a thing. I am not convinced that the monster trucks I see everywhere were purchased with the safety of others in mind. A few jobs require a big truck; but towing an rPod is not one of them.

Sam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

NC - Because of wind resistance on the pod's huge frontal area, I think a lot of TV/Pod combos hit a "wall" around 60 to 65 mph, not just 4Runners.

We only get 8 mpg at speeds of 65-70 on the flats. But if we slow down to 60, we can get 13+ mpg.
-- Steve
I think this is a very good point. No matter what we tow with, we have to tow sensibly. It's a win-win-win situation to hold our maximum speed to about 60 mpg. First, we win because we stay within the maximum towing speed in many states. Second, we win because 60 mph allows safer stopping distances and steering control than 65-70 mph for all vehicles. Third, we win because our fuel economy is better at 60 mph than at greater speeds.

I do think, like you said, that fuel economy and handling characteristics depend on the TV/Pod combo. I don't necessarily hit the wall you mention with our Trailblazer, but greater highway speeds take a more-or-less linear toll on our fuel economy. In our case, head winds and cross winds seem to be a greater factor.

Highway speed limits of 65 or 70 or 75 are upper limits. We are not required to drive at the upper speed limit when we are traveling on the highway. For many (most) states, the upper limit for towing is less than the posted limit. When we're pulling our rPods, we are generally on recreation time. We'd be better off just slowing down a bit and enjoying the drive, rather than taxing our vehicles and nerves at speeds better suited to our frantic work times.

Sam
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 11:16am
Sam - I agree. You don't need a big honk'n truck to tow these things.

I remember back when we bought our 177 there was a list of every SUV model that could tow it safely. The list was HUGE.

We towed our 177 for 5 years with a 2008 Lexus RX Hybrid equipped with AWD and factory towing package ). The car had a 3.3 liter V6 and we towed our rpod (WDH with anti-sway)through the Ozarks, the Rockies, the Smokies and everywhere in between. The car worked flawlessly and the TV/rpod setup never felt unsafe. Plenty of power going uphill to pass other cars although we usually keep our speed down to 55 or 60 to save on gas.

A couple of weeks ago we traded our TV in on a new 2013 Lexus RX with AWD and factory towing package (same TV, just newer model) and will just keep going as we have.

Note that we put 70K miles on our 2008 TV and never had a single service issue. The only money we ever spent on the car was for regular maintenance, tires, and gas. The original brakes even had 50% of their life remaining.

I submit this as one example of a 6 cylinder SUV rated to tow at 3,500 pounds that did the job safely and without any sign of mechanical problems.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 40>
  Share Topic