r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 40>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 12:36pm
I"m pulling with a Ford Escape. No problems.

Ned
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 3:50pm
We are pulling a 172 with a Nissa Pathfinder V6 4.0L 266HP, 6000# towing.  We went from 20-22 hwy to 15 hwy pulling.  We are happy.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 4:44pm
That sounds similar to the Touareg spec's. I hope our unit is still on schedule. I'm calling Couch's tomorrow.

geneowens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 2:23am
Except for the trip from Couch's back to NC, I haven't had much opportunity for towing my 171. I towed from Couch's with a 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8 [about 450 miles] and there were no issues with sway, stopping, etc. MPGs were around 10 to 11. I had planned to tow for camping with a 2008 Toyota Highlander V6 [rated to tow 5K] and have towed approximately 20 miles with this vehicle. The computer showed similar MPGs as in the Tundra and no towing issues although a longer tow is required for a better test.
However, reading these posts makes me think that the Tundra would be better for regular towing and it does have lots of storage in the 8 foot bed with the bedrug and undercover for security of stored items. The only drawback is finding parking in town when the 171 is in camp. The Tundra is about the length of a 250/350 4door 6.5 foot bed Ford. Also, around town/sightseeing MPGs is a lot less than the Highlander.
Thoughts??? Thanks.
rabuol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabuol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 4:59pm
Hello,

I'm due to pick-up my rpod 171 on 6th of July....does anyone know whether I can pull the unit with my Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8 motor ?...I don't have the tow pck.....doesn anyone drive around with a similar setup ?

I kind of worry....maybe the transmission will give up...what are your thoughts ???

Lou
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 5:04pm
Your tranny might over heat.  A lot will depend on if you have to climb any hills.  When you get home check or have someone check to see if the fluid is burnt.  I pull with a 3.7L but I have a tranny cooler.

Terry
GregA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 10:15pm

Towing w/Toyata Tacoma 2003 4x4 V-6. Works great!

Tow; 2001 Toyota Tundra ext'd cab,V-8, 4x4
jeff.gerring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff.gerring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 3:38am
As long as you are rated to pull 3500 you should be ok - we pull with a similar minivan, and had the Transmission cooler put in.  I highly reccommend it.  They are really quite cheap to put in as well, and gives you good peace of mind.
______
Jeff and Angela
biamaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biamaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 10:00am
We are considering a rpod 172 with our 2007 toyota sienna.  I was told to get a class 3 hitch and a transmission cooler and brake controller from UHaul.  Any other suggestions we need to consider? 

geneowens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 11:34pm
I had an 06 Sienna - it had the tow package which included the tranny cooler - check with your dealer - you may have the coolers already. My 06 only had the 1.25 receiver installed by Toyota but was rated for 3500. I towed a Jayco popup with it with no issues. It did ride a little low so had to be careful. Some Sienna owners have installed air bags to help with the hitch height when towing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 40>
  Share Topic