r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 9:33am
You might be okay with the Liberty 4 cylinder.  However, you should get the tranny cooler added to be on the safe side.  Just turn off your overdrive and watch your temp. gauge.  Plus stay on flat ground, which isn't hard here in Florida.

Terry
brods365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brods365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 11:01am
I wouldn't pull with less than a 6 cyl. I have a 2004 Aztek with tow package and AWD rated for 3500 lbs. It has to work on the hills, even small upgrades. Sometimes I wish I had an 8 cyl. I feel to be safe it is good to have the extra power.
RATZPOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RATZPOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 3:31pm

Well, we bought a 173 and went on our maiden voyage from Hurst to Wichita Falls, TX this past weekend. We really gave our Chrysler Pacifica (6 Cyl) a big test. It was 108 degrees in WF and so the A/C in the Pod got to work hard all weekend. Couldn't complain about how the trailer traveled behind the Pacifica, never swayed and couldn't tell it was there most of the time. The Pacifica didn't have any power in overdrive, so we used the Auto-stick mode and that worked a lot better. We were really sad with the mileage when we crunched the numbers after we got home. 6.5 Miles per gallon - sad, very, very sad.
Hills were an issue, didn't really feel comfortable with the V6, so we are looking at getting a V8 to pull with. We'd like to go to the mountains with it, but don't feel the Pacifica could handle it. The Pacifica is rated at 3500 lbs and we also had the tranny cooler installed before the trip, just to be safe. Kinda disappointed, but I agree with another post that said it wasn't the weight, it's more the drag due to the height of the Pod..... but still Love being a "Podder"...   
The Rat's (Tim/Laurie)
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 5:12pm
IMO you would be replacing a transmission.  We towed a PUP with a MPV mini-van (PUP weight 2700# and MPV towed 3000#) we burned the transmission in just 5 trips out with the PUP.  No hills, mostly level ground.  We ended up stranded on the I system, not able to go anywhere.  It would also be a safety issue for you and everyone on the road.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:45am
      I have done some research and found out the transmission should be no problem. To not use 5th gear and not let the engine bog down. I spoke to two transmission shops. The weakest link would be the clutch if not used properly. The transmission does not have a fluid pump, a cooler is not avialable. The transmission is a heavyduty truck transmission the lower 2,000 tow capacity is because of the clutch, but if used properly should be fine. I have driven a manual transmission all my life shouldn"t have a problem. Plan on staying in Florida with it. If we go out of state we will use the saturn V6. Its a jeep designed for climbing hills its built to be tough. The steepest inclines we will proably be driving up would be bridges. Smile      David and Danette     
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
tq5006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tq5006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 8:44am
I asked the dealer if my Odyssey can pull this trailer, he said yes (but wondering if he is just trying to get a sale). on paper it can pull 3500lbs, I have a class II after market hitch on it now (to haul our current 13ft boler, it works great for that!), but no trailer brake set up, which I would think would be necessary based on the weight.

Alternately I have a 2007 subaru outback, but it is a 5 spd 4cyl, so thinking this is not a good idea.

Comments anyone?

Looking forward to see what the Sienna can do.
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 10:07am
Yes, most dealers will say anything it takes to make a sell.  My guess is that you are borderline.  Check the owners manual and see what it says.  Brakes on the Pod would be a must have.  You should also have a tranny cooler.

Terry
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 10:12am
    We have a 2007 saturn vue, as well as a few others pulling the RPods. The honda odysseys , pilots, Acura MDXs, and older saturn vues all have the same engines and transmissions. The saturn vue has plenty of power, keep the transmission in the trailer pulling mode. Not sure of the long term reliabilty of the transmission, hopeing hondas reputation of good quality holds up to be true. Yes you will need the wireing for trailer brakes.      Smile    David and Danette             
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
scammc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scammc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 10:49am
Originally posted by The Pod Couple The Pod Couple wrote:

Hi were using my ford Ranger six banger.Does the job well.

What year Ranger do you have?  I have a 1999 4x4 V-6 that looks  (at least spec wise) that it would pull the 175 (need to get a receiver and lights put on though).

MC
Jackson41 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackson41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 7:53am
In the market for the 171.  We have a jeep Cherokee (1999). 4X4 with 130,000 miles on it.  Original owner, been very well maintained.  Have a class III hitch, will be putting on a transmission cooler, properly wired for trailer and brakes from dealer.  Will use a weight distribution sway prevention hitch that has been recommended by the dealer.

I currently get around 20mpg (+-).  Dealer tells me that with prudent driving with the slower speed of around 55 mph, I should be able to maintain around 14 mpg.  (there about)

My anxiety is that I have been reading different accounts of mileages dropping even to 6.5 mpg.  Is there anyone out there who has a vehicle similar to mine who can share their own experiences with mpg and performance with this vehicle.

The engine in my jeep is a 4.0 liter six cylinder with a 195 HP rating.  My jeep is the Cherokee and not the Grand Cherokee.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jack Edwards
Nashville, TN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 40>
  Share Topic