r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind Speed & Direction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind Speed & Direction
    Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 5:31pm
     I am a sailor and wind direction and speed are important to know. I would like to know if there is a instrument for vehicles that is able to tell you the wind speed and direction not influenced by  the vehicle you are driving. I usally look at the trees or a flag to see the direction and guess at the speed while driving.   Smile   David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 6:37pm
Never heard of one.  But that doesn't mean there isn't one.  Do a search for Oregon Scientific  and see if they have anything.

Terry 
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 10:51am

Don't think there is such a creature.  While on a moving vehicle, you can only measure relative wind speed and direction, and ground speed and direction.  Knowing those numbers you may or may not be able to infer actual speed/direction.  You have to rely on stationary measurements to be sure of actual wind speed and direction.  Same issue comes up in an aircraft (once upon a time I almost got my private pilot's license). 

'10 Forest River R-pod 171
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 11:28am
I think you would have to interface a laptop with a gps unit (to get your vehicle speed and direction) with an wind anemometer-wind direction meter installed on your tow vehicle.  I wouldn't want the task of programming the software.  But it is such a neat idea, I wonder if someone might actually manufacture something if there was a call for it.  You used to have to spend a good amount of money taking your tow vehicle into the shop to get the 'check engine' warning checked out. Now I have a 'ScanGaugeII' unit always plugged in on my dash. Does the same thing for a modest one time cost and already has saved me a couple of shop visits.
tsunami
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 11:29am
     techntrck , I thought that you would answer, and I thought too that I might be hopeing for something not possible. It would be nice to know what kind of a headwind you may have while pulling your trailer. Thankyou for the reply.        David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 11:58am
      Terry I checked out oregon scientific and other web sites. The best I think I could do would be a wind gauge that could measure wind at a speed of a  100 mph. I could then subtract the speed of our car. But The price of a good gauge would not be worth my curiosity, but I will keep it mind if I ever do have the money.   Thankyou for all the replys.     David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 12:47pm
Will see if I can find you a brand name but not sure if they can be made to work on a vehicle.   The ones I am aware of are used on ships and are tied into the navigation systems.  They use hal effect sensors (no moving parts) to determine wind speed and direction.  They are able to use information from ships navigation system to determine wind speed as they are able to subtract boats movement from the data from the sensor to determine actual wind speed and direction.

Weather forcaster guys at work says there is a company called inspeed and a few others that make anemometers etc for storm chasers.  You can  take wind speed output from sensor, input into a laptop that is hooked to a gps and then calculate wind speed.   Of course wind direction won't work at highway speed.    Guys seemed to think the rooftop anemometers where under $100.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic