r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping Recipes and Food Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crockpot cooking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crockpot cooking
    Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 7:18am
Last night I fixed a recipe in my crockpot that I got from a camping website.  I am not sure if it was here.  It was verry good. 
Put 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in bottom of pot. Poured a can of black beans over it.  I then seasoned with chipotle mix, not much. Put a jar of salsa over that and cooked for 8 hours on low.  I shredded the chicken and stirred the mixture.  We ate it over rice, but our son stopped by and made burritos from it, and we all loved it.  Used crockpot liner.  No mess!!!
Pepperpod
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 8:34am
One of my family's favorite:

1 1/2 lbs any smoked sausage
3 apples sliced thick
1/2 head shredded red cabbage
1 medium onion sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup apple juice

Layer sausage, apples, cabbage and onion in crockpot in order listed. Sprinkle brown sugar, salt and pepper on top. Pour apple juice over everything. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve with favorite mustard dip.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Mrs. 'Piper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. 'Piper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 7:01am
A favorite of ours:  Stone soup
1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1- 14 oz can beef broth
1 small pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
diced fresh potatoes (amount to suit)
frozen meatballs (amount to suit)

Add all ingredients and cook on low all day or on high for 4-5 hours.
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 9:06am
When I went to TN for some Jeep trail riding I took a large can of chili with me.  When we left in the morning for the trails I turned on the slow cooker.  When I got back supper was all ready.  The only thing I added was some of my homemade Datil Pepper sauce.  Can't beat good HOT chili!

Terry

EDIT:  For those that don't know about the Datil Pepper.  It is about as hot as a Habanaro (sp?) Pepper.  But, it is sweet and has a fruity taste.  It pretty much doesn't grow anywhere except northern FL and southern GA.
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 9:19pm

This weekend, they were predicting so much rain that I just knew we were not going to be able to grill outside.

So, I found this crockpot recipe online.  It was easy and it really did smell good while it cooked.

Crockpot Pot Roast

• 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
  • 1 1/4 cup beef broth
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 3 lbs roast (I used a bottom round roast)
  • Directions

1. In a slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix, beef broth and red wine.   Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture.
    2. Cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.

** I actually cooked it on high for 6 hours and it was falling a part...very tender**

I also did season the roast with salt, pepper, and garlic salt (the only 3 spices I have in the Pod so far)

I served it with small red potatos and boiler onions (which I cooked together in one pot since there are only 2 burners on the stove) and Cauliflower (one of the few veggies that Pod_Patrol likes)
    ~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
    kotasnana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kotasnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 10:01am
    Taco Soup in the crock pot
    2 lbs hamburger
    1 packet ranch seasoning
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    1 ca of ro-tel
    1 can of pinto beans, kidney beans, mixed beans,corn,and diced tomatoes..
    serve with tostitos and shredded cheese, sour cream if u like
    Chrysler town and country
    Eastern roundup site 10
    R-pod 175
    Poddie View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 10:03am
    I like to make breakfast in the slow cooker, especially if we are planning on getting an early start next morning.  Put old-fashioned oats in the cooker and double the amount of water (such as 2 cups oats, 4 cups water).  Cooks on low for 8 hrs. so I can put it on when we go to bed and it's ready to roll next morning.  Can add some powdered sugar to the oats before cooking if you like sweetened oatmeal.  Can add cinnamon, raisins, almond extract, vanilla -- you name it.  I've added canned pie filling as well - yum!  Have tried Apple Caramel, Cherry, Pumpkin, and Mixed Berry.  Winners all, although the berry filling will make your oatmeal kind of a weird color.  :P   LOL  Just give the fruit/oats a good stir before serving.  Have tried pecans, too, but they were a little mushy in the morning. 

Caveat ~ Smelling the pot cooking in the middle of the night may make you hungry.  I sometimes run an extension cord to the tow vehicle and put the cooker in there overnight to prevent a serious case of the Midnight Munchies. 
    I'd rather be Podding. :)
    YakDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 1:49pm
    Yowee, PepperPod. That sounds great!

Had a hoot Saturday when I found a slow cooker that goes on the Coleman rollaround grill. Bet that puppy sucks some propane on an all-day recipe.

I'll have to tell Daystarc about it. She is pretty handy with her Coleman grill. Last time we were tag-teaming on breakfast. She did the pancakes and I did the venison sausage. There were no complaints with the results.
    YakDriver, Ain't Leo, Chaz and Lil Harry in grrr-Pod

2013 r-Pod 182G Hood River; 2013 Ford F150 STX

YakDriver's Blog
    Poddie View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 1:56pm
    I use the crock pot liners too.  No clean up, and the leftovers can stay in the bag and go to the fridge; just carry a few twist ties or clothespins to keep them closed.

I also do the chicken burritos in the slow cooker with chicken breasts and a jar of salsa.  We also add a can of corn and a can of black beans.  Yummah.
    I'd rather be Podding. :)
    Daystarsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daystarsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 4:40pm
    I love my crockpot at home so maybe I will have to put it in Harry Podder sometimes too!  I bet the propane one does suck up the propane.  I would probably use the electric one cause the electricity is there!  LOL  The liners sound like a wonderful idea for podding.  I love easy cleanup.  Big smile
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic