r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

codensation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:37pm
Here is an article I ran across that I thought might add to the insight here on this subject.

"the problem of condensation. Moisture from cooking, washing and just our breathing raises the humidity inside the RV. As it gets colder, this moisture condenses out on cooler inside surfaces like window frames and doors. This can lead to mold and mildew, water stains or even worse. The best way to prevent condensation is to avoid introducing excessive moisture into the air. A good practice is to always use the range hood vent when cooking and the bathroom vent when showering. This will draw most of that moisture out of the rig. It may be necessary to keep a roof vent open slightly to provide some ventilation and keep condensation in check. Insulating exposed surfaces that tend to collect moisture will also help. A small dehumidifier or some of those little tubs of desiccant crystals may be necessary, depending on the RV and how many are staying in it."

HAPPY PODing !!!
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 3:03am
I ran across a very small dehumidifier which uses peltier technology (like a Coleman PowerChill cooler) as opposed to a compressor.  Reportedly, they're very quiet in operation.  I've been thinking that something like this might be worth a try for spring/fall camping... if I can find one in the $25 range.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 3:23am
Last weekend I didn't have a condensation problem, even with cooking, running the heater all night and morning. 
I did open the bathroom vent 1/2 or so, with no fan, but then again it was 45 degrees cold (or rather warm depending on our point of view)LOL

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 4:47am
During our recent trip we experienced rather heavy condensation before we took any action to reduce it.  As Butterfly did, we opened the bathroom vent maybe an inch or so and that alone reduced the condensation immensely.  While cooking we opened a window slightly and turned on the bathroom fan until we finished cooking. In the future I hope to add a small solar powered fan, if I can find an appropriate one,  to reduce the condensation even further.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 5:44am
Boaters have long gotten around the condensation problem with this - a very quiet solar powered water proof fan.

I'm contemplating installing one myself.

2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 6:05am
Nice unit Phil !!!

Saved the link .....

Thanks for the photos !

HAPPY PODing
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 6:41am
That is the fan we had installed on our trailerable boat.  It is a great piece of equipment with one caveat.  When towing the boat through moderate to heavy rain the water blew in through the fan and onto the forepeak bedding.  This didn't happen very often but when it did we had soaked bedding.  I'm thinking of mounting one behind the A/C unit where it would be more protected from water intrusion.  More thoughts for the "todo" list.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 8:42am
Originally posted by PodPatrol PodPatrol wrote:

Here is an article I ran across that I thought might add to the insight here on this subject.

"the problem of condensation. Moisture from ... breathing ...  The best way to prevent condensation is to avoid introducing excessive moisture into the air... "

Well, since I know 99% of our problem is due to 4 of us breathing all night while we sleep, there's only one way to stop that...  ShockedConfused
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
Bigbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Sandpiper Sandpiper wrote:

During our recent trip we experienced rather heavy condensation before we took any action to reduce it.  As Butterfly did, we opened the bathroom vent maybe an inch or so and that alone reduced the condensation immensely.  While cooking we opened a window slightly and turned on the bathroom fan until we finished cooking. In the future I hope to add a small solar powered fan, if I can find an appropriate one,  to reduce the condensation even further.

I'm amazed at how airtight the R-Pod is, which is a primary reason for the condensation build-up.  When I fire up the fantastic shower fan, it actually sounds like it is laboring, and noticeably speeds up once I crack open a window.
Regards,

Bigbit

2010 Trailmanor Elkmont
Tow Vehicle: 2009 Buick Enclave CXL (Cliffy)
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 4:00pm
techntrek:
                                                  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic