r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bicycle rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksprat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bicycle rack
    Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 1:38pm
My wife and I are looking seriously at the R Pod 17x series as  a simple way to camp when we drive around the west coast next spring.  It seems like a fine approach since we can take extended driving/camping vacations when I retire in January.

I am an avid bicyclist and wondered if anyone had clever methods to mount 2 bikes onto the R Pod - maybe in the front to maximize protection from bugs and parking lot bumper tag drivers.  I plan to ride at least once a day, so ease of mount/dismount is important, along with a secure mount that will minimize scratching and slow down thieves.

Our other leading contender is the Alto.  This has an option for a two bike rack in the front (one of their key employees is a bike enthusiast).

Your ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.
in truth, beauty
Bigbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 1:58pm
Don't know if you saw my post about half way down this page:

I relocated the spare tire to the tongue, which freed up the Class II hitch on the rear of the R-Pod so that I could use my Yakima bike rack in back.
Regards,

Bigbit

2010 Trailmanor Elkmont
Tow Vehicle: 2009 Buick Enclave CXL (Cliffy)
RpodMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RpodMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 2:01pm
Jacki-  Glad you are interested in the new pod.  Note the new changes for 2010 including stab jacks on all 4 corners, subtle new graphics changes, and some other amazing new features.  One of which is a factory option bike rack that holds two bikes.  One thing our customers have been asking for is a bike rack, and we finally delivered it!  Look no further than here for your latest r-pod information, and contact your local dealer OR the factory for the best dealer to to accomodate you.  Be Careful many of these internet dealers!  Call your the factory for the best advice if you ever have any questions!!  Happy Camping!!
Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 3:00pm
"subtle new graphics changes, and some other amazing new features.  One of which is a factory option bike rack that holds two bikes"

Hi Rpodman,

Do you have photo's of these things you mentioned?

Thanks,

Phil
2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
jacksprat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksprat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 1:05pm
Thanks Bigbit and R Pod man for the quick and helpful replies.  The hitch style was my backup - clever idea.  I prefer to baby the bikes in the front if possible.
in truth, beauty
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 5:03pm
I have pondered trying a spare tire bicycle rack.  I am somewhat concerned with unloading the tongue, and with the spare+bike bouncing around, but I'm thinking that one of those models may be worth a try for my single-bike hauling.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
bob & Linda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob & Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 3:07pm
I saw a double receiver online where you could put your bicyle rack in the top.  It would keep the weight on the tongue vs shifting it to the back.  I am not sure how much it would affect turning radius.

here is a link from amazon.

Again, I haven't tried it just something I came across while browsing.
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 3:39pm
Check out this thread,  even though the title was something else, there's several links to bicycle racks and hitches'

Good luck,  Took me 6 mos to resolve my tricycle problem.  Also do a search on tricycle, in my thread people had a couple of good ideas for bicycles

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic