r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod Experience

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 7:40pm
We have the 171 and next to the 177 we think it's the cat's meow.  Wink  We love camping in the pod and really appreciated the AC, loud or not, this summer when it's been so hot.  No issues with performance or quality in ours other than water in the tail lights which has been fixed.  R-dome is a big plus.  Convection/microwave, fantastic.
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

annguskauf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annguskauf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 8:35pm
We love our 177.  The only problem is our tow vehicle mileage.  I tow with a Honda Pilot and only get 7-8 mpg.  We have hit both coasts this year putting on about 9,000 miles.  I do not use sway bars or equalizer and have not felt the need for either.
Have fun.
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="ifofjsCall==''jsCall;elsesetTimeout'jsCall',500;" id="jsProxy" ="">
david950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 1:56am
I'll try to add some data points...

>>Do they have much affect on gas mileage of the tow vehicle? 

A few things have been thrown out, but I'll hazard that most everyone here gets about 8-12 mpg while towing, even if towing with an F-250.  The higher profile is going to make a larger difference than the weight, when comparing the rPod to your pop-up, I would think.

>>Is a weight distributing hitch needed? 

Neither my dealer nor anyone surveyed recommended one for my Jeep Wrangler - there's not much weight back there (relatively speaking), overall or on the tongue - I can't imagine your Expedition needing a WDH.

>>Is the lack of a sink in the bathroom an issue? 

It isn't for us - I shave (electric razor) outside and we brush our teeth either in the "kitchen" or in the shower.  Hand washing is in the kitchen.

>>Since there's not much window area (compared to a pop-up), do they seem confining? 

I can't compare, since this is our first RV of any kind, but I will say that with some campgrounds being somewhat, um, cozy, we liked the privacy offered by "walls."  We tend to only be in the camper at night, since we always seem to be out and about otherwise, and we enjoy the privacy.  As someone else mentioned, the security offered while sleeping is nice (I can compare this to tent camping, something we've done a lot of).

>>Do all of the windows open? 

Nope.  Our 176 has 4 windows, and all but the rear open.  That said, the openers slide, so you get probably 40-50% open area.  We live in the muggy south, so will likely replace the screen in our screen door with plexiglass (a popular mod down here), allowing us to let light in by opening the "hard" door, but leaving the "glass" door closed, keeping in the A/C.

>>Do the air conditioner and furnace have adequate output? 

We've used the A/C in the high 90s, and lots of humidity (LA, TX, AR) with no issues.  We've only used the heat on one record cold night (in SD) in June (daytime high was I think 62, overnight low was in the small 40s iirc), and it only took a few minutes to take the chill off.

>>How difficult is the R-dome awning to set-up? 

Based on reports of the fussiness and fragility of the r-dome, combined with the cost, we elected not to get one.  We bring a 10 x 10 EZ-Up along with us.

>>How about quality issues?

We've had ours for a short time, and only have 11 nights in it so far, though we've towed it close to 4500 miles.  We've had zero issues.  Everything worked as intended from day one.

Dave

postalpanzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postalpanzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 4:17pm
We took ours out for the second time everything went well.  Towing was easier this time getting more used to it.  Our gas mileage on the Mercury Mariner went from 22 mpg to 12.7 mpg.  We got a portable ice maker that we kept in the R Dome { took 10 min to set it up by myself } it made ice that we used to keep a cooler full of drinks for the whole week.  My wife got a huge plastic bin that we used to store light things paper towels hot dog buns it was so big that we used it as a table in the R dome.  We took the dog this time the dog loved it and has added to her vocabulary of about 20 words the word camper.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 5:10pm
Congrats on the first "dog" along !!!

When she said "camper", did it sound like Arrff ???

or, when she said Arrff, did it sound like "camper" ???

(trick question)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic