r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod Experience

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R & C Pitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Experience
    Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 3:50pm
Hello R-Pod Nation,

I'm a newbie to the forum and I thank you for allowing me to be a part. My wife and I have a very nice 2008 Jayco pop-up camper, have not been considering a change but last week, while on vacation and passing through Middlesboro, KY we noticed an R-pod at an RV dealer and was very intrigued. We like the Jayco very much but the set-up and tear-down are becoming more of an issue as we're approaching retirement age. The Jayco tows very well behind our 2000 Ford Expedition.

The RP-175 seems to be the one that would best fit our needs.

If I understand correctly, the R-Pods have been in production since late 2008, so some of you on the forum have now used them for one season. I'm interested what your experience has been with the R-Pods. Do they have much affect on gas mileage of the tow vehicle? Is a weight distributing hitch needed? Is the lack of a sink in the bathroom an issue? Since there's not much window area (compared to a pop-up), do they seem confining? Do all of the windows open? Do the air conditioner and furnace have adequate output? How difficult is the R-dome awning to set-up? How about quality issues?

I'm interested in your total experience with the R-Pod as I wouldn't want to make a change without fully exploring the ins and outs of the R-Pod. Thanks for any information you're willing to share.
R & C Pitt
Troy, OH
2000 Ford Expedition
2008 Jayco Pop-Up
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 4:24pm
Welcome R&C Pitt.  Our experience has been absolute great.  We had pop-ups for several years and have no regrets upgrading to a TT.  You will notice a difference in gas mileage.  A Weight distribution hitch is a personal choice.  We choose to have one for the safety for ourself and anyone on the road.  We use an Equal-i-zer.  There are many on the forum who do not use a WD or Sway control.  We do not have an issue for the lack of a sink in the wet bath.  As far as windows...we don't spend much time in Rbug so it is not an issue with us.  But if you liked the window space in your pop-up you may be disappointed.  Not all windows open.  The air and furnace are more then adequate.  We opted out for the R-dome because we felt it took too much time to set it up, however, others absolutely love it.  We prefer to use an EZ-UP.  We have had minimal problems and find the quality to be an 8 out of 10.  You will find more positives then negatives on this forum.  We had our shares of tents, pop-ups, and one other travel trailer prior to the R-Pod.  We have no regrets making the move to an R-Pod.   Good luck in your decision.  
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 4:43pm
Dear R & C

I've has my Podterfly since July and LOVE it.  Most of you questions are discussed in length and some have several threads (type in a word or two in the search and you can see the various threads).  

I have a 172 and only have two windows and would have like windows  on the bunk side and may install them at a later date and/or a window in the door.  The other two windows open half way.

Good luck in your quest.
LeeClap  

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 5:06pm
Welcome R & C ...

If your checking out the r-Pod then your in the right place.

Great descriptions, procedures, opinions, pictures, and advice.

You will find some very happy customers here expressing their experience (good or bad).

All I can say is as a whole, so far the Pod experience has been fantastic, but mainly due
to the great people here at this forum. I have learned alot about the Pod here.

Hope you do too !

HAPPY PODing !!!
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:21pm
I have the 175.  On this model the only window that doesn't open is the back one.  It seems that most, if not all, people have reported a 50% drop in gas mileage.  I really like the Pod and have no regrets..

Terry
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 4:26am
R & C - my advice is buy one.  You won't have any regrets.  We purchased an early production 2010 model 172 in July.  We have not been back for any warranty issues.  We used it 8 times in about 2.5 months and absoluetly love it.

Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 1:48pm
Hi R & C-
I'm obviously predjudiced, but don't rule out the 174 either. We keep the dinette conversion as a full time bed most of the time, but always have the option to have a dinette if we want it. Otherwise, they are pretty much identical and yes, a great unit and we are so glad we decided on it after looking around a lot!
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Leaflin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leaflin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 2:35pm
Welcome R & C Pitt.
We love our Pod. We chose the 173. It has four widnows that open and one across the back, plenty of light. The dinette converts to a 58 x 74 bed which we leave down when traveling. We have a mattress topper and it's really comfortable. The Sofa folds out to a 40 x 74 bed and I added another 8" making it 48 x 74.

We have been through tents, pop-ups mid-sized TT and have enjoyed the R-Pod the most.
It is exactly what we wanted and just the right size for the two of us.

David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 2:58pm
    The Rpod web site is a big plus. Some of  the first Rpods had a few problems but forest river has made some good changes. Quality is not bad, this web site will answer most of your questions. Perhaps what I like most is how well it handles when being towed, no need for a sway bar ( personal choice ). The cabinets are built well, the metal blinds and table have had some complaints. It is light weight for the amount of room you have inside. I would shop for price, there has been a wide range of prices mentioned. Over all a good camper for the average price that it is selling for.       David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
Wyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 2:43pm
We also moved from a pop-up to the r-pod, we had pop-ups for many years, but as we get older the pop-up was becoming more work to set up.  We had a Fleetwood Hemlock that weighed around 3500#, the R-pod weighs around 2200#, however, towing with a Chevy Avalanche our towing mileage dropped from 15 mpg to 10 mpg, this is due to the added drag due to the height of the R-pod.  We have sway control, but do not need wdh, nor do I think wdh is needed on your Expedition.  Other than the drop in fuel mileage, the R-pod has made travelling much easier and comfortable.  We did not like the Dometic A/C and had it replaced by a Carrier V.  Overall, we are very satisfied with the R-pod, it is constructed well for an RV, and most importantly we can extend the camping season into the colder weather since we do not have canvas to deal with.
Wyn & Gail
R-171
Hudson Valley, NY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic