r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R Pod 172

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 12:16pm
Sandpiper, we noticed that it tended to rock a little when we stopped at the rest areas or to fuel up.  We spent most of our time on the interstate on the Florida trip.

UPDATE

We picked up our Pod from the dealer and stopped to eat half way home.  Rick checked the brakes to see if they were warm. THEY WERE HOT.  We called the dealer and they told us to come back and let them check it again.  One brake was 50 degrees hotter than the other.  They worked on them again and adjusted them again.   Now the other brake is hotter than the one that was hot yesterday. Cry

Question:  Is my husband just being hyper-vigilant or do others of you check to see if your brakes are getting hot? He checks because a friend of ours was towing a car on a trailer going to Florida and burned up his brakes and wheel. Have you ever experienced hot brakes.

I am at the end of my rope with this.  I think the next step is to contact Forest River.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by pepperpod pepperpod wrote:

Question:  Is my husband just being hyper-vigilant or do others of you check to see if your brakes are getting hot? He checks because a friend of ours was towing a car on a trailer going to Florida and burned up his brakes and wheel. Have you ever experienced hot brakes.

I am at the end of my rope with this.  I think the next step is to contact Forest River.
The only time we've gotten our brakes checked was every time we came down from Pikes Peak (mandatory). They do this for safety reasons because most people tend to ride their brakes. As far as checking the brakes all the time - never had. Ever checked on your breakaway to see if that might be the issue?

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 1:15pm
Ever checked on your breakaway to see if that might be the issue?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kenn.  I am not sure if the dealership has checked the breakaway but I will ask when I talk to them on Monday.
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 3:22pm
Yep, with many miles of pulling trailers (boat, travel, utility, etc. ) I have developed the habit of always checking the temperature of the wheel hub at least once  per travel day, more often than not at every stop.  I've always done this the unscientific way of laying my hand on the wheel hub.  If it is merely warm, everything is good, if it's too hot to touch or nearly so, then it can be breaks (if so equipped) or wheel bearings.   I'd make sure the dealer has made sure the wheel bearings are not an issue also.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

GrandPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 6:00pm
 Pepperpod
 Make sure you have 12 volts to the pod from the battery. If you use the battery cut-off switch make sure you have the key in and check either with a volt meter or use the leds located in the pod. I have already had to replace one switch due to a voltage dropscross the switch. I don't think they are water proof and if you don't have a cover to cover were the red key goes in; water will enter thru this and cause corrison. . I cover mine with a piece of duck tape now when not in use.
 Tom
Tom And Linda
Rpod 177                      Southwest florida

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 6:37pm

GrandPod I use a rubber chair foot cover.

Keep spare on the terminal and the extra key is stored with tape on the inside of the box.

My two cents.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
GrandPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 4:52pm
 Butterfly lee
 Great idea. At the time I discovered the problem with the switch we were in the middle of a 3 day
rain front and the duck tape was handy; However now I have the 7/8" table leg rubber bumper in black fresh from HD. Plus I now have 3 extra ones.
 Tom
Tom And Linda

pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by GrandPod GrandPod wrote:

Pepperpod
 Make sure you have 12 volts to the pod from the battery. If you use the battery cut-off switch make sure you have the key in and check either with a volt meter or use the leds located in the pod. I have already had to replace one switch due to a voltage dropscross the switch. I don't think they are water proof and if you don't have a cover to cover were the red key goes in; water will enter thru this and cause corrison. . I cover mine with a piece of duck tape now when not in use.
 Tom
OK, I am a little confused (happens often Big smile ).  Does the 12 volt to the pod from the battery deal with my brake problem.  How is it related?
R Pod 172

GrandPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 6:59am
 Pepperpod
  You need the 12vdc battery on the Pod to make the breakaway switch work properly, if it doesn't see the 12vdc it will act like an emergency break to stop the pod. Hopefully someone can explain this in more technical terms.
 Tom
Tom And Linda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic