r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod 171 Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod 171 Review
    Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 5:50am
Well our R-pod 171 came rolling into the dealer just in time for our Easter Weekend Camping trip.  The unit is nice but there are a few items that really bug me. 

It seems that they liked to cut corners in a few areas and some of the finishing work seemed to be missing.  It started as soon as I opened the door.  What was Forest River thinking when they placed the Access Panel for the shower right by the door?  There is no trim so you have a piece of 1/4 Plywood covered with the wallpaper screwed to the wall.  As you reach for the outside light switch you hit this and come away with splinters.  I'm looking into getting pockets like back by the bed to cover it.  The weather seal around the door is coming off onto the screen door as the door are VERY tight to close.  Some of the outside labels are already starting to peel off including the weight sticker.  Clip that hold the table down bent and the inside plastic piece broke out the first night.  The 2 pieces of wood on the bench that hold the table are unfinished.  Clips to R-dome look sloppy on the side and the r-dome does leak in the rain.

I have seen many different campers and this one looks like Forest River pushed it through the factory just to get it out.  I'm talking with my dealer on these items.
Peter

www.rpod-owners.com The only r-pod forum owned, operated and maintained by r-pod owners.
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 12:44pm
I agree with you.  BUT..... We bought a Coleman Columbia pop up camper 25 years ago and it was still going (we gave it to a young couple).  It was a small camper (850 lbs) with 2 pull out beds and a convertible dinette, a stove, sink, and heater.  It was 6 ft. long when folded down.  It cost $3,500 twenty-five years ago! Our R-Pod cost $11,000 and look at what it includes!  If they would make it as solid as the Coleman it would weigh a ton and cost a fortune!  We try to be careful and hope the structural parts hold up.   I love it for the money.  Good luck,  Linda 
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic