r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

podmod: Front Stabilizing Jacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by pepperpod pepperpod wrote:

You know, I think Forrest River is monitoring this site.  I think they are trying to fix the things that you guys are finding wrong with the Pod, because they think they have a "hot" little trailer that will be a big seller for them.
Just look at the love for the pod and excitement on here.
What do the rest of you all think????

Actually pepper.. its a double bladed sword.

Think of it this way:
They could feel they have no need to improve the factory QC because we are out here fixing/changing all this stuff for them. (in a round-about way)
Believe me, all Manufacturers are looking to cut every corner they can. Thats how business works.
Ive seen alot of questionable issues come up as I comb through the 177.

Or this way:
They do monitor this forum, and they are addressing some issues. Which is way kewl, and I hope that is the case. Who knows, the perfect Pod may roll off the assembly line in 2011 ???

This is the main reason Ive tagged our Pod as Apollo13. Great Idea, lots of technology, all the perks, but problems with putting it all together.

Whats really great about the Pod is this forum !!! We have some very intelligent people here that will know more about the Pod than the assembly line workers would ever dream of.
We'll pull each other through the imperfections, and share ideas about how to make the Pod more comfortable and effective, even to the point of warning us about problems and possible issues to expect.

I really need to see a doctor about these long posts I continue to type.... Confused sorry ...

HAPPY PODing !!!

clevispin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clevispin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 10:30am
If Forest River is monitoring this site, let's all start posting about noisy AC units again!

Tom
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:27am
I dont mean to diss FR for some of the issues with the Pods. As far as I can tell the Dealers are usually happy to attend the issues.

Concerning the AC, havent used it yet, but Ive heard they are loud.
Ive read a few articles about some Coleman units. They got some good reviews.

We'll see how that works out, because its not as easy as the furnace fix. Which was go out and buy a safe space hearter for under $50.

Considering the purpose of the installed furnace, it would have been better to just supply a real nice Space Heater w/the Pods. You see, some bigger RVs use the furnace for keeping holding tanks and other things (floor?) warm when the climate requires it.

The Pod furnace just keeps the Pod livable. (which is a good thing)
But they are loud, and complicated (to me anyway) and take up valuable space.(177)
A Space Heater, when not in use, could be put in the tow vehicle.

Im sure that there is a reason they put a furnace in, and Im assuming it has to do with being able to put it in the "Camper" genre. But for the sake of logic, it lacks!

Like I said before, we'll see how the AC does in our unit. If it cools real good but is loud, then we may just put up with it till we can replace it w/something quieter.
But AC is hard to do without even here in Central Illinois. I can't imagine TX or AZ ... Confused
So this could become an issue next summer for us.

Sorry for straying off the thread subject line.Cry

HAPPY PODing !!!
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:40am
Wow... I'm surprised at these negative comments.

Personally, I don't find the Dometic air conditioner to be particularly loud.  Certainly, its no louder than a window air conditioner.  It cools the pod really well, and I *like* that the fan cycles on and off with the compressor.

I also like the propane furnace in my 171.  Sure, it takes up a bit of cupboard space, but it comes in really handy when its cold outside.  I like that it can be used when I'm dry camping, it puts out alot of heat, its out of the way, and 'setting it up' consists solely of turning up a wall thermostat (I'm on vacation, I really don't like fiddling around with things).  Heck, while traveling in September, I pulled into a little park to make lunch in the pod; it was a bit cool inside so I turned on the heater - its fantastic that I can do this in a parking lot during a 20 minute lunch break.  Most importantly of all, I feel safe running the furnace at night.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:51am
I personally feel the AC units are oversized (which provides sufficient cooling) and appear to be loud because the Pod's are so small.

I have no problems sleeping with the noise and the on and off cycling.
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 12:31pm
CRAIG :

Its great that you enjoy the conviences of the r-Pod, such as the 'standard' equipment.
I guess I turned toward the 'Space Heater' because of the problems we had initially with the furnace in our unit. Why I brought a space heater with us, I have no idea, but its literally "Saved the Day" in our case.

As far as set-up, it was a plug-in, and set the thermostat. Cindy had to get up to turn it down abit, but thats a good thing cause that meant that the Pod was retaining heat !! Smile
Since there were only two of us, we had no problem negotiating the unit on the floor.
Others may have problems with that if there are more than 2 campers, or they just dont want to give up the floor space.
But in all honesty, the space heater was much quieter than the furnace. (even though ours never lighted, it sounds the same in operational conditions)
Cindy is a very very very light sleeper (when she does sleep) so she is totally sold on the Space Heater route. (in our unit the furnace is under the bed, where-as a space heater can be placed near the dining area).

The furnace uses LP & electric, but how much electric I dont know, and if you only have one LP tank, then LP becomes a valuable resource when electric sites arent available.
(number of campers should be equated into the formula)
But perhaps the Space Heater would use more electric ??? this I do not know either. But the Pod battery(s) can be charged by the tow vehicle.

In any case, when it gets down to what ever it gets down to, its a personal preference, and alot of variables are involved.
A (what appears to be) "endless" MOD thread doesnt mean the r-Pod is broken, or inadequate, it just means that we're just trying to make our r-Pod "ours".

One thing I believe is for sure, we all Love them !

HAPPY PODing !!!

David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 3:29pm
     It is the marketing strategy of Forest River to give us things about our RPods they we will want to improve on. That is why they gave it the name RPod. The more modifications we make the more it becomes our personal Pod Making it R pod. Forest River may be smarter than we may think. Confused   David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 4:11pm
Hmm- while this has nothing to do with stabilizing jacks, I just want to clarify that you cannot use an electric heater while on battery power. The electric outlets all work off of shore power hook up only.

Having said that, we love having the electric heater available especially if we are already paying for the use of the hook up.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 5:22pm
Very good point John ... heating and AC shouldnt be in this thread.

I guess I got carried away. Sorry !

Im going to look into this delima and start a new thread about off-line heating.

Thanks for bringing this thread back on-line John !!

HAPPY PODing !!! (#14)
MacTx53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacTx53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 6:10pm
Not sure if you would consider this maintenance or a mod, but...

Just a heads up on the factory installed stabilizer jacks. Our new 2010 / 172 "Harry Podder" came with four which was good. We hadn't expect four. Both front jacks had twisted off sheet metal screw heads, which was bad.

I discovered this while getting ready to make the sewer hose container modification. I noticed the front of the jack was not touching the frame. So I took a closer look.

On the curb side, one bolt head was missing and on the street side two bolt heads were missing. Now when I say missing, I mean that the sheet metal head was twisted of during the installation at the factory.

For me the fix was not that big a deal. I removed the remainder of the sheet metal screws and enlarged the holes to accept a 5/16" bolt. A lock washer, and some Lok-Tite for good measure and it was a done deal.

We'd put about 250+ miles getting it home from Corpus Christi and been another 500 miles on our first outing. Could have turned into a safety issue while traveling.

Ya'll might want to make a point to crawl under check those stabilizer jack bolts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic