r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp ground review and recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia Camping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Georgia Camping
    Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 2:24am

I will be attending the U.S. Eastern Pod Round up in June 2010 and I need information on camping around Atlanta Ga close to I-75  and also around Manmouth Cave Ky. I Prefer State Parks.

Thanks
 Tom
Tom And Linda
Rpod 177                      Southwest florida

pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 3:30am
Originally posted by GrandPod GrandPod wrote:

I will be attending the U.S. Eastern Pod Round up in June 2010 and I need information on camping around Atlanta Ga close to I-75  and also around Manmouth Cave Ky. I Prefer State Parks.

Thanks
 Tom
It might be that Mammouth Cave has a federal campground.  I don't know how old you are, but there is a Golden Pass which allows campers a discount to federal facilities.  It is sometimes as much as 50%.  You have to be 62 years old to get it. It is a lifetime pass.
We are staying at a Corps of Engineers site in Florida for $82 for the week.   If you do not have one, you can get one next summer in Winchester, KY.  It is the town closest to Boonesborough.  You need proof of age and $10 cash to pay for it.

There is a park (state) called Red Top Mountain.  We think it is north of Atlanta around Cartersville.  My husband says that it is about 40 miles north of Atlanta.  High Falls State Park is north of Macon.  We have not camped at either but we did stop at Red Top and looked around.

I hope this helps.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 5:16am
I haven't been to this place, but it looks nice on the internet

Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 5:39am
Hey Grandpod, we'll be taking pretty much the same route from central Florida to Kentucky so we're also interested in camping along the way.  See you on the road!   We are earnestly trying to make this plan work so we can go to Ky.  
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 8:56am

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass. - Cost $10.

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass
America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass
This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Access Pass - Free.

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Access Pass
America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Access Pass
This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities. Documentation is required to obtain the pass. Acceptable documentation includes: statement by a licensed physician; document issued by a Federal agency such as the Veteran’s Administration, Social Security Disability Income or Supplemental Security Income; or document issued by a State agency such as a vocational rehabilitation agency. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Access Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 10:45am
I don't think you can get the pass at any Corps of Engineers facility anymore.  We went to the Boone National Forest office in Winchester, KY to get ours.  That office is near Fort Boonesborough.
We each got one.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
penny-podding View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penny-podding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 1:03pm
We live in Middle GA and are going to the Round-up. High Falls is a very nice state park for those who want to stop in GA. We are going to try to make it north of Knoxville, TN one day and then on to Ft. Boonesborough. There seem to be two TN state parks right off I-75. Norris Dam State Park and Cove Lake State Park. We are going to try to stop at one of those. Maybe we will see some of you at the same stop-over point.
The Penny-Pod is on the road!
Penny & Russell
R-Pod 172
2006 Ford Expedition - Darth Vedar!
ridney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:39am
If you're camping in Georgia along the way, you can't go wrong with staying at a state park.  Their website is http://www.gastateparks.org/ and you can reserve at most of the state parks online.  Red Top Mountain is about a half hour north of Atlanta and is just off of I-75 around Lake Allatoona.  High Falls is about an hour south of Atlanta and is a pretty nice place as well.  Rates are about $25 a night but you'll have to buy a parking pass as well.

If the parks aren't your thing or are worried about the cost, others have recommended  http://www.freecampgrounds.com/index.aspx but I've not used it myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic