r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp ground review and recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saint Augustine, FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saint Augustine, FL
    Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 7:14am
I just got back from 2 days at:  Anastasia State Park on Anastasia Island, Saint Augustine, FL.  I was there Wed. and Thursday nights.  While there I walked down a trail to where the Spanish quarried Coquina Rock to build the fort in Saint Augustine.  Beautiful walk!

This was my camp site.  All sites have water and electric.  There is a sewer dump station for the campground.  If you like seclusion you would like the main camping area.  The sites are fairly close but you really have to look to see the other sites.  There is a lower section that is more open.

This is the main trail to the Coquina Quarries.  There were a lot of birds along the trail.  In the winter months you can see Bald Eagles and Peregrine Falcons along with many other birds.

This was a side path from the main trail.  Here is where you run into wild pigs, bear, cougar and of course snakes!Cry  Actually, with the amount of noise you make going down the path chances are you won't see anything.  It is THICK!

At the end of the State Trail there is a path that you can follow for a pretty good distance.  Here is what is at the end of it.

The beach is NOT a good place for swimming because of strong currents and, as they put it, "DANGEROUS SEA CREATURES".  Can you say JAWS?!LOL

You can rent: beach bikes, beach strollers, beach wheel chairs, canoes, kayaks and windsurfing gear.  Island Joe's Snack Bar opens at 10AM and closes at 4PM.  It has some fantastic BBQ!  They serve breakfast and lunch.

From the park you can also see the Saint Augustine light house.  Go out to the beach after dark to see it!

Terry

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 7:17am
Excellent Pics !!! Thanks for sharing ....
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 7:56am
I had a "Poderific" time!Big smile

Terry
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 8:29am

That is a great review and the photos make the difference.

Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
throttle96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 11:21am
Looks beautiful. Might have to think about making the trip from SC to stay there one day.
09 R-POD 175
07 Explorer Sport Trac
Me,the Wife,and our 4 legged Child
Site #16 at East Coast Roundup
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 11:52am
When all you people get tired of snow we could have a little "gathering of the Pods" in sunny Florida!!

Terry
duder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 12:03pm
Sunny Florida sounds wonderful!  Smile  Here in Southwestern Virginia we are getting a little indian summer!!  Your pics are great, looks like a podastic place to pod!
Chuck and Bev
2010 R-Pod 172

Happy Trails!!!!
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 12:52pm
Hear in Northern Va, we have had a nor'easter.   I want to see the sun again.  Getting ready to take the 175 out tonight to Luray.  Maybe it will be sunny there tomorrow?   Florida sounds great.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
duder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 12:58pm
Smile Have fun in Luray, hope the weather is sunny!  Big smile
Chuck and Bev
2010 R-Pod 172

Happy Trails!!!!
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 5:36am
Thumbs Up
Beautiful campground.  Thanks for the great photos.  I put my vote in for a Florida Pod gathering!
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic