r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Trip
    Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 6:44am
Spring break in Utah! We arrived in Moab, Utah, last night. Just part of our journey south to Bluff, Utah. Our gas mileage did suffer some as with pulling any trailer. We pull our 151 with a Jeep Rubicon. It is very windy today--winds gusting up to 36 miles per hour. We have 100 miles to go, but will take it slowly. So far, a great experience with the r-pod. We down sized from a 24' 5th-wheel. Everything is in the trailer; not used to being packed so tightly. No condensation problems this morning. About 60 degrees outside. We didn't run the heater at all. Even in this wind we feel no drafts. We are pleased with our decision to downsize. If I get frustrated at all, I just remind myself this is tent camping with hard sides.

In good spirit!
desertskyblue
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 7:54am
It sounds like your happy with your camper!  Did you do any playing in Moab?  That is going to be one of my destinations with my Pod and the KJ.  Have fun and be careful!!

Terry 
capringl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capringl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 5:54pm
Awesome...please post some pics when you get time...rpod and the jeep. I always wanted to check out Moab. I'm curious about 4 wheeling in a tow vehicle. I too have a Rubicon but I would be worried about messing up the jeep and getting stranded. Also I think Moab would be a great place for some of us to meet for a group trip...sounds like Terry is down with it. Anyways I'm rambling...have a great trip...look forward to the updates!
Craig
R-Pod 172
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 7:06pm
Craig: don't be afraid to off road the Rubicon.  That is what they are for.  I'm not saying Moab or any other aggressive trail but take her out.  She will be very happy and purr all the way!

Here is a stock Wrangler I was behind on a very wet trail in Florida!
http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/Fulltimer_KJ/?action=view&current=IMG_2661.jpg

This was the guy behind me.  Stock also:
http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/Fulltimer_KJ/?action=view&current=IMG_2669.jpg

Here is an old pic of me crossing a small stream/mud whole.  I was stock at that time:
http:///s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/Fulltimer_KJ/?action=view&current=IMG_2177.jpg

You really should get and have some fun with it.

Terry

desertskyblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 4:38am
Originally posted by desertskyblue desertskyblue wrote:

Spring break in Utah! We arrived in Moab, Utah, last night. Just part of our journey south to Bluff, Utah. Our gas mileage did suffer some as with pulling any trailer. We pull our 151 with a Jeep Rubicon. It is very windy today--winds gusting up to 36 miles per hour. We have 100 miles to go, but will take it slowly. So far, a great experience with the r-pod. We down sized from a 24' 5th-wheel. Everything is in the trailer; not used to being packed so tightly. No condensation problems this morning. About 60 degrees outside. We didn't run the heater at all. Even in this wind we feel no drafts. We are pleased with our decision to downsize. If I get frustrated at all, I just remind myself this is tent camping with hard sides.

In good spirit!

2nd day of spring break. We got stranded in Moab. Wind gusts of 40 to 45 miles per hour kept us in Moab for an extra day. Good to report though, we had a great day in the r-pod. Very comfortable. Some condensation this morning as the temperatures dipped below freezing last night. We left the vent open a bit so the condensation is minimal. We were dry and warm however. We did take a ride along the Colorado River yesterday. Visibility was very poor. All of the orange sand in the sky yesterday is now on the jeep and the r-pod. We'll go into town for a quick rinse and head south. The sun is shining this morning and the sky is a brilliant blue. Moab at it's best! 
desertskyblue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 6:11am

In good spirit!

2nd day of spring break. We got stranded in Moab. Wind gusts of 40 to 45 miles per hour kept us in Moab for an extra day. Good to report though, we had a great day in the r-pod. Very comfortable. Some condensation this morning as the temperatures dipped below freezing last night. We left the vent open a bit so the condensation is minimal. We were dry and warm however. We did take a ride along the Colorado River yesterday. Visibility was very poor. All of the orange sand in the sky yesterday is now on the jeep and the r-pod. We'll go into town for a quick rinse and head south. The sun is shining this morning and the sky is a brilliant blue. Moab at it's best! 

3rd day of spring break. Finally made it down south. Rained and snowed all day yesterday. We still wandered around Natural Bridges National Park. We're headed to Hovenweep today. Still very cold. The r-pod is still warm and secure. Our only difficulty yesterday was trying to get the waste water hose back in the black tube. We have the suggested 10' hose and that fits just fine... the problem... add moisture, dirt and sand and getting the caps back on is impossible. We finally put the hose in a container under the back. Something really needs to be done about this. With such a small trailer I hate wasting my underneath storage space with a hose that should fit somewhere outside the trailer. We may look at something after-market to make it work for us. Forest River needs to correct this problem for the r-pods just coming out of the factory and maybe retrofit for those of us who have already purchased our trailers. Otherwise, we're still happy with the "Little Guy." I'm still reminding myself this is tent camping with hard sides. 
desertskyblue
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 6:53am
Desertskyblu: there is a tread on here about replacing the factory hose storage tube with a PVC pipe.  It apparently works a lot better and you can use a heavy duty, longer hose.

Terry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 5:37am

In good spirit!

3rd day of spring break. Finally made it down south. Rained and snowed all day yesterday. We still wandered around Natural Bridges National Park. We're headed to Hovenweep today. Still very cold. The r-pod is still warm and secure. Our only difficulty yesterday was trying to get the waste water hose back in the black tube. We have the suggested 10' hose and that fits just fine... the problem... add moisture, dirt and sand and getting the caps back on is impossible. We finally put the hose in a container under the back. Something really needs to be done about this. With such a small trailer I hate wasting my underneath storage space with a hose that should fit somewhere outside the trailer. We may look at something after-market to make it work for us. Forest River needs to correct this problem for the r-pods just coming out of the factory and maybe retrofit for those of us who have already purchased our trailers. Otherwise, we're still happy with the "Little Guy." I'm still reminding myself this is tent camping with hard sides. 

Okay... enough from me. This is the last day of our spring break. We finally have blue sky and no wind. We're headed to Moki Dugway (a great dirt road for the jeep) and Monument Valley. I've got to say, all-in-all our trip has been wonderful and even having to spend so much time indoors the r-pod has been wonderful. We've downsized from a 24 foot 5th wheel, but I find the r-pod to be every bit as comfortable. We've only had a few inconvenience problems and all of those can be worked out. When we camp, we are never inside a trailer this much so this has been a good test of the r-pod. If you'd like to see any pictures and a more wordy post about our adventures you can see it at by blog, desertskyblue.blogspot.com. I'll have it all posted next week. Part of it is there now.

Happy trails.
desertskyblue
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 9:09am
OMG  are you crazy!!!!  What about aligators and snakes!  Cry  Linda
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 9:17am
Hi Desert sky blue
The shocked reply above was for the jeep pictures going through the rivers in Florida. Cry!!!! Glad your spring break was fun.  Did your decals come off in the wind?  We are losing some but they will be replaced by our dealer.  We found our 171 to be very comfortable even in the thunderstorm and traveled well.  Linda   
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic