r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Insert Pictures to R-POD Nation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Insert Pictures to R-POD Nation
    Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 3:34pm

I was asked to put together instructions on how to resize and insert pictures into our forum.  

Here it is.  Get a picture.  Whether its picture you take, scan or get from someone else.  It use to be that certain programs would only read certain file types, with new technologies that has pretty much gone by the wayside.  The greater number of pixels means better quality of the picture (and large file size), which gives you more to work with.  However, when sharing or posting a basic picture will be fine with a smaller size picture. I use Photo!Editor which is a free software that you can download. This is in three parts Part I the download, Part II editing, Part III posting.

PART I Downloand Photo!Editor

The location is circled in red. Once you get to the site this is the main screen.  Http://pho.to/editor/

Click on FREE SOFTWARE and the on PHOTO!EDITOR

Next Click on DOWNLOAD

Click on DOWNLOAD FREE

BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY SYSTEMS AND IT’S ALREADY ON MINE, FOLLOW YOUR SYSTEMS INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLATION.  

PART II PHOTO!EDITOR

Use the little file folder in the upper left corner to find the folder that has your pictures. Pick one of the Pictures.  You have three windows to work in, plus a large menu bar.

Upper left shows you other folders, Lower Left shows you the pictures in the folder your working on (Notice the picture you are working on is blurred see red arrow), and the main window shows you the picture your working on. 

I’m going to go over the items I most use, but of course you have fun with all the features.

I choose this picture because of course it’s my rig, but it will be easy to show size.

Sometimes my pictures end up a little tilted, so I really like this feature.  Click on the straighten button and a new window will open.  Your cursor will become a drawing tool.  Draw a line across the picture the way it should be.  In this case I drew a line though all the tires (edge of buildings is another good one to use).  

When finished click the OK button. Now you have to make a choice, SAVE or SAVE AS.  I normally SAVE AS so the original stays PURE and I can always go back to it if I need to.

Notice that everything is now LEVEL, however I did lose a piece of the front of the truck. 

The next menu item I like is CROP.  There are several options I use FREE (circled in red), this allows your cursor to draw a white box.  

Everything outside the box will be taken away (or cropped).  Click OK 

Below is a straighten and cropped picture.

You want to make all (or most) changes to you pictures before you resize.  This gives the editor the most pixels to work with.

To downsize (compress, shrink or resample) your picture  use the Resample button.  Notice the circle below, when I took this picture my camera was sent on it max pixels.  So the picture is large then the screen when viewed in actual size or 100%, a size of 1367 kb.

Click on Resample

Notice the sizes circled in red, and the monitor in the center of the picture.  Editor has several preset sizes that a useful so I don’t change the other setting (you may if you wish)

This is a large picture suitable for your screen saver on your DESKTOP (NEW SIZE 213KB).

This MEDIUM WEB GALLERY (NEW SIZE 78kb) is good for face book and other programs use to handling larger pictures. Notice the size difference. We will use these sizes again when posting to the forum.

The small email size (NEW SIZE 26kb) is a good size for posting, but too small for regular viewing (I always try to keep either a larger copy for myself ).

WHICH EVER SIZE YOU PICK, CLICK OK, THE SAVE AS SO YOUR ORGINAL STAYS PURE (IMHO).

PART III Posting in a Topic Reply

Click on the Post Reply in the upper left or bottom left of the topic you are wanting to reply to.  Quick reply doesn’t have a picture symbol so I assume it doesn’t handle pictures.

Once your ready to insert a picture click on the little tree icon (circled in red).

A new window will open, but it doesn’t open all the way and is a little confusing.  Till you get familiar I’d enlarge the window.

This is the Image properties enlarged.  It’s divided into three sections, upper left are pictures you have uploaded already, bottom left are buttons to help you load new pictures and right side is what you do with the picture in the post.

Now click upload

Click OK ( the smaller the file the quicker the upload)

I uploaded wed gallery size notice the size of the picture and how it takes up the whole preview screen

I typed in the new size, (half of what it was, and this is the display size which doesn’t change the size of the file).  The preview is how it will look in the Posting.

I halved the size again (for demo purpose), now you can see how it will look in relation to text.

This is the small email size, notice it came in about half as big as the web gallery and still takes up  good part of the post for a little file.  These numbers can be changed also and you can also play with the default settings.

CLICK OK when you have the picture you want.

Click on post reply when your finished with your Post.

This ended up being longer than I thought, but I wanted to make sure that those who are not used to dealing with the software could follow along step by step (hopefully i didn't miss any).

======================================

My suggestion is to copy the whole post and save it in your word processing software.  Then print from there or work from that copy.  Here's how press the cntrl key and letter a, that will select everything.  The press cntrl key and letter c that will copy everthing.  Move your cursor to a black word process document, press contrl key and letter z.  Now save your document.

GOOD LUCK, Happy Posting

LeeClap

P.S.

If I missed a step let me know I can always go back and edit.

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
VenturaDi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VenturaDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 3:43pm
Lee,
All I can say is WOW!  Thumbs Up

A lot of effort went into that.  I'm sure it'll be helpful for a lot of folks.

Diane
Happy 177 owner! (along with VenturaTom)

"We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance"   Japanese Proverb
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 3:50pm
Indeed ... great job Lee !!!

What a great idea to post the procedure and pictures !! (just like my favorite thread "MODs")

Thanks for taking the time to put this together .... Hug
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 6:14pm
Whew...that was a lot of work.  It would be so much easier if they just used a different program to begin with.  Great job and thanks for putting it all together.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 12:41pm
Thank you for a lot of hard work at posting that.
I got a few pics of our most recent trip, and will give it a shot at posting some pics in the next week or 2.
Thanks once again
Wandering life's backroads with my wife, our 2 four legged children; Chloe the odd Pug, and Tia Maria, the smallest Chihuahua I'm aware of.
Life is good.
Ned View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 3:40am
How do I upload a picture for Avitar. I have tried several times with no result.
Ned
Ned
Rocket Pod RP-173
Miramichi, NB
2005 Ford Escape
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 6:15am
First step is of course to pick an image you want and make it small.  One of the options in the Resample (resize instructions above) is thumbnail size.  Resample your image to that size.  

Here's how to change your Avatar.

1. Click Member Control Panel on the menu bar for the forum.
2. Click on Edit Profile.
3. Click on AVATAR UPLOAD (It's in the middle of the page small blue letters)
  This is about the sames as posting a picture
a. Click on Choose File (the find your image)
b. Click on Upload File
        c.  If you like the preview Click OK (your new avatar should be on the page)
        d. Click on UPDATE Profile (otherwise it will not be save to your profile).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any problems.

LeeClap
nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 9:56am
Thanks, I"am trying, good on wood, not on computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! david
nancy
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 12:07pm
Moderators:

You might want to move this to top.  Noticed that new people have questions.

LeeClap
Maryjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 6:32pm
Thanks Lee, that was very helpful. I will try it.

FoxyPod (Maryjo)2010 R-Pod 173 Tow Vehicle:2004 Expedition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic