r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rpod knock-off!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboydan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rpod knock-off!!!
    Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 5:19pm
Well I am at the national dealer show in Kentucky tonight. I walked in the front door and glaring right at me is a 100% knock off of the r-pod. This is called MPG by Heartland. It is 100% exactly the same. I could not believe it. They even have the same frog on their logo. 

This finish out is nice, but it is missing some of the little things like the fantastic fan, hidden cab hinges, etc. 

This really surprises me that they can copy a product 100%. Oh well I guess r-pods looked too good to not get into this market. 
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 5:25pm

Of course I had to go right over and google it....sure 'nough

John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 5:27pm
Heartland Recreational Vehicles LLC enters the lightweight teardrop travel trailer market with the retro-styled MPG line set to debut at the 47th Annual National RV Trade Show Tuesday in Louisville, Ky.

The MPG will initially include four floorplans, available in 18- and 20-foot lengths, featuring two tent-end models and two units equipped with single slideouts. The teardrop line is one of four brands to be introduced in Louisville that will showcase Heartland’s all-new high-gloss platinum fiberglass exterior.

“The MPG blends a very contemporary look, created by the platinum exterior, with a distinctly retro design that is one of the draws for teardrop trailers with consumers,” said Brad Whitehead, national director of travel trailer sales for the Elkhart, Ind.-based manufacturer.
The eco-friendly MPG is available in four colorful exterior graphics packages, each sporting individual icons depicting the active lifestyle of the youthful target demographic. MSRP’s start around $14,000.

Typical of teardrop trailers, all MPG models have a dry weight of less than 2,700 pounds, allowing the units to be towed by most crossover vehicles and smaller SUV’s. Heartland achieves the lightweight status without sacrificing structural integrity, employing aluminum-cage-construction and fully laminated sidewalls and floor.

Key features for the MPG include a two-tone interior, chestnut maple kitchen cabinetry with a mocha maple accent, along with an AM/FM radio with CD and DVD players.

“The teardrop sector is an arena that we have been looking at for some time as consumers continue to become more ‘green’ conscious,” said Whitehead. “Like all our introductions, Heartland is coming into the marketplace with a product that is priced right with features that surpass the competition.”

SOURCE: Heartland press release

John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 7:03pm
OMG  

Looks like they are after FR's piece of the PIE.  Will be interested to see some Pic from the inside.  

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
retired Roxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 9:46pm
check out the OLIVER - its a knock off of the casita molded fiberglass only $$ more.

Maybe Heartland has been reading the forum and learning what improvements to make before mass construction
Retired Roxy
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 10:17pm
They do make good campers.  Too bad they just copied the R-Pod.  It would have better better if they came up with their own design though.

Terry
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:25am
Well, when it is all known who copied who and who had the idea first ?  Confused
I don't know but I do know that there were "Tear drop " design campers back when I was still a pup and that was some time ago.  Popular Mechanics magazine had plans for these things back in the early 40's, that's 1940's, because I thought about building one.  Granted it wasn't aluminum-foam-plywood sandwich but the tear drop design was there.  I guess if you live long enough you see things go the full circle with just cosmetic changes to the original idea.  Maybe there really "ain't" nothing new under the sun.  We just "re discover it". Embarrassed
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cane2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:34am
This day and age it is all SERVICE like it was 25 years ago. If you believe in your product and take care or your consumers and treat them right you will come out on top in the market place.  This will be interesting to see what happens,this is the first of the knockoffs.
duder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:41am
It was bound to happen, anything as kewl as the R-POD would eventually be copied!  Just like the Harley Davidson!!Tongue
Chuck and Bev
2010 R-Pod 172

Happy Trails!!!!
cowboydan73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboydan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:41am
The finish out inside is about the same. They are putting in a nice cabinet, laminate wood flooring, Fabrics are 1,0000% better in my opinion, but again Forest River still does a few things differently and hopefully the SERVICE will continue to be better. 

I will and take some photo's today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic