r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

!!!!Did Not Winterize!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: !!!!Did Not Winterize!!!!
    Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 6:29am
CryDid not Winterize, because it NEVER FREEZES here and was planning on camping in the next couple of weekends.  

SO this afternoon we get the Hundred Year FREEZE Angryand possibly snow.  I've set the heater at 45/50 degrees for the day.  Tonite I plan to put an oil radiator heater to supplement ( actually I may do that now).  

We won't be cold for long (it will be 66 degrees with 24 hours), but I don't want my stuff to get damaged from freezing.  

Should I open the drawers and panels so they get warmer air around them, or do you think just having the heater going will be enough? 

Podterfly is hooked up to electric and has a full tank of LP, (the wheels are are cement 4" blocks so there's a lot of open area under her (she is in between to mobile homes, not in the open).  Should I try and block that?

I don't go above 30 degrees longitude just for this reason, what happen to global warmingOuch, I'm freezing here.  

Guess I need to follow the monarch butterfly and hummingbirds a little farther south.

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 6:33am
I hear the scientists lied about global warming.

I'm no expert, but openning the drawers sounds like a good idea.
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 6:47am
Butterfly
If it will be back up to 60 within 24 hrs, I wouldn't get to shook up.  It takes sometime below 32 deg F to freeze things up.  By turning on the heater and opening the drawers etc. you should be OK as long as the Temp doesn't drop into the 20's.  If they are predicting high winds (20 mph or higher) and the temp drops into the 20's you might want to block the air from blowing under the Pod.
What did you guys do down there in Texas to deserve this ? 
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 7:50am
We normally get a few days of freezing NIGHTS per year.  Like you, when the sun comes up it gets warm again.  The nights that it does drop to 32* it is only for a couple of hours.  My outside water hose has never had a problem.  Do the about suggestions and go to sleep tonight!Big smile

Terry
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 12:52pm
Personally, I wouldn't worry about an overnight low around freezing.  If the temperature hovers around 32F for more than 18 or 20 hours tho, I'd take some simple precautions:

Open the drawers, make sure that the water pump is exposed (sorry, I don't know where its hidden in the 172), turn the heat on low, and turn on your hot water heater.

Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
gepaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 5:59am
Hi Sandpiper.

I'm curious why you would be concerned about cold air blowing under the R-POD. Only people and animals are affected by wind-chill, right?
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT- Life is not just about gas mileage!
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 6:42am
That isn't true.  Air moving across, around, through any object will carry away heat through the process of convection.  Heat is transferred from the warm object to the air "colder medium" and carried away from the warmer object.  The only difference between conventional and convection ovens is the fan in the convection ovens which "distributes" the heat more evenly than is done in conventional ovens.  I am not concerned about air blowing under my r pod because I have winterized it.  Butterfly_Lee has not winterized her pod and still has water in the lines, pump etc. and heat loss is the culprit here.  Any heat loss, convection, conduction or radiation contribute to freezing if too much heat is lost.

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 7:37am
Ok Podterfly made it though the dark cold winter night (ok you northerns laugh)LOL.  We did have sleet in the afternoon, but the snow never made to Corpus Christi.  Still it was enough that we had a couple of pile ups on our MAIN expressway when it was falling.  Think about it we don't have sand or salt (LOL Except on the beach) or probably even equipment to put them on the road.  I volunteered to pick Myra up from work instead of letting her case worker, just because the people here have only seen snow on T.V. and in 2004 Xmas for 24 hours (150 car accidents that day).  I'm a northern transplant so I felt she be safer with me. 

I put the electric oil radiator on low and had the heater on low as a back up (probably over kill).  Actually podterfly was nice a cozy warm.  (Need to get a thermometer for inside).  I ran water though the pipes and flush to toilet, turned on the water heater and the regulator started to swizzle so I turned it off.  Need to check the posts on swizzling regulators and get that fixed before next outing.

First cold spell is always the worst,  I READY for it now.  Thanks everyone for your input.  (FYI the heater is located under the bench seat next to the refrigerator on the drivers side, someone asked)  

LeeClap  

Sandpaper really good explanation, I knew I was suppose to be concerned by now I KNOW why.   
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 8:06am
Well Lee now I'm confused.  What the heck is a "regulator started to swizzle" .  The Only swizzle I'm familiar with is the stick people use to stir their Kentucky Bourbon.  Not me of course.
Can you help me out with a little more explanation in case my regulator starts to "swizzle".

Really my "Sandpaper" explanation was understandable ?

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
retired Roxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 8:13am
Hi Butterfly-Lee. Your right the heater is under the bench near the refrig but the water pump is near the sink-that noisy thing someone insulated to keep the noise down.   I may have to revisit that site again.

Thanks everyone for the info; I too, am not insulating my 172 BUT one year (about 10 years ago) we had 2 weeks of 20 degree night time weather with much warmer days. Very unusual for SoCal. Would taping insulating batting or some sort of insulation under the trailer help protect it in an emergency? (Would the heat from the r-pod permiate the floor to help keep the underneath warm enough) I have NEVER had to deal with extreme cold, snow, winterizing etc. Talk about a 'greenhorn'

Out here people take weekend excapes throughout the year. Friends are planning to camp in San Diego over the New Year!
Retired Roxy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic