r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

175 OPPORTUNITY?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 175 OPPORTUNITY?
    Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 5:06pm
Ying YangMy wife and I started our small camper search a few months ago.  We discovered R-POD's and have decided that's way we want to go.  We narrowed our choice to a 172 or a 177.  I've just located a new '09 175 and the dealer says his bottom line is $11,500.  AC, axle risers, cd/dvd/tv. and tv antenna options.

Even though that was not our first choice, I'm thinking that is too good a price to pass up.  I've searched the site and it appears that the 175'ers are very happy with that model as most folks are of any of the models.

Would appreciate any thoughts.
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 6:04pm
I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.  The price sound like a good deal.  We chose the 172 so we could use the bunks for storage, which was important to us.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
kotasnana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kotasnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 6:43am
love my 175
Chrysler town and country
Eastern roundup site 10
R-pod 175
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 7:30am
Looks like the 175 still gives you a separate eating area (sofa area) and you can leave the bed made (as in the 177).  Since you already were considering a slide you probably had figured in the weight (my current vehicle didn't need the extra weight).  Big plus is the dealer already had the riser installed (Had to order my separately).   I have a 172 but I travel with one of my children (who is an adult) and wanted my own bed. I liked the sofa area and the kitchen off to the front. 

If you get it now, will they store it till about spring when your ready to make it your own with Mods and take in on the road?   Just another thought.  

Good Luck  which ever way you go and Welcome Thumbs Up.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 11:20am
We have a 175 for two adults and a dog.  We love it.  The slide out adds needed room and we have made adjustments to increase and organize storage space.  I wanted an option that had a dedicated bed and when we bought last spring this was the best option.  The sofa bed is only good for a short child for sleeping though.  I can sit up in bed and read and watch tv and still see the tv from the sofa.  Overall, I think it was the best available option for two adults. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 11:21am
The 177 is a nice unit. If you dont need the extra floor a "slide" would create, then going "lighter" and "tighter" is a consideration.
When we got the 177 home I did alot of "look'n" round the unit. Eyed out all the cavities where storage could work, and checked out the water heater and furnace location. Water Pump, and fuse/converter area. I noticed that when the slide is extended there is some light coming through, which means it doesnt seal in a few places.
We havent had nearly the problems some have had, but we still had an issue or two which is no big deal. There are alot of "good people" here that are willing to suggest possible "mods" and easy fixes, or suggestions.

For the most part everyone here is quite happy with their Pod, including us !!
The 177 just seemed to be a floor plan that we both agreed on from the get go.

Happy Podding !!!
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:38am
The 175 will give you more kitchen space and counter/cabinet area than the 177 or 172 and the slide on the 175 is great extra room if you can absorb the extra weight in your tow vehicle. We like the design (we have the very similar 174) better than others because we wanted the sofa as a sitting/book reading area and don't need the extra bed as it will only ever be just the 2 of us and a dog.  That does look like a terrific price, but I'm not seeing a microwave or a rdome in there- both of which can be replaced with other options. The standard microwave is a $300 option that is a convection, but can easily be replaced with a much less expensive one. The rdome is nice to have, but others here have used easier-to-use and less expensive alternatives. The 2009 has probably been on the lot for awhile as the 2010s have been out for at least 6 months or so, so I'm not surprised your dealer is trying to move that inventory. Good luck!
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:36am
I appreciate all the advice.  The 175 I was interested in has sold so I'm back on the hunt.
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 7:05pm
Check out the 171 someone posted for sale here on the forum.  It may not suit but it's the unit we have and are happy with it.
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:28pm
Thanks again for all the info.  I believe the camper advertised was a 172 which would work but it's on the other side of the country.  I'm going to look in the western USA through the rest of the winter and if I don't find one by then, I'll expand my search.  I'll also post a WTB ad in the marketplace.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic