r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 6:51pm
Outbound
I my case it was a part of the factory tow package.  The relay was left loose in the glove compartment and if I wanted to charge the battery I had to plug the relay in the fuse panel.  I really didn't know that was what it was for until you mentioned the battery charge line and I looked up the paper work.   I had just blindly installed it without questioning what it really did. Now I know.

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 7:22pm
I have a Jeep Liberty with a Prodigy electronic brake controller (7-pin).  On a Liberty,
the wiring is set-up with the Prodigy, so that the 12VDC feed from the Jeep Alternator/Battery
is only sending to the Pod when the engine is running.  As soon as I shut off the engine...there is
no feed from the Jeep to the Pod.  So I don't have to worry about leaving the Pod connected and running down the Jeep's battery.  The fridge, set on DC, runs off the Pod's battery when the Jeep is shut down...and off the Jeep when the Liberty is running.

I also plug in my Pod to AC, before I go on a trip...so that the Pod's battery is already fully charged
before I start to haul it.  I am not sure if my Liberty wiring would be able to handle trying to feed a
depleted Pod battery (or how long it would take to fully recharge just from the Jeep).  I usually just use the vehicle feed to keep the battery 'topped up' while trailering.

You might want to check on the possible wiring setup when you go get an electronic brake controller to see if your tow vehicle wiring will be similar to my Jeep's.

tsunami
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 8:13pm
I also have a prodigy brake controller - mine is a Prodigy 90185, which I installed myself.  In the case of my 90185, the charge line was not in any way routed in/through the brake controller, and there was no indication in the instructions that it should be wired so, nor were there any wires on the Prodigy's harness which could have been used for the charge line; my Prodigy's harness had four wires: red - brake actuator, white - 20amp power from battery, black - ground, blue - brake line for bargman connector.  The 20amp line from the battery is used to power the brakes.  In my case, I had to attach a second 20amp line from the battery to the bargman connector in order to power the charge 'pin.'
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by joe&carol joe&carol wrote:

Congratulations on your 176. You are certain to enjoy the experience.  Otherwise, you mention going to a separate location to get the brake controller, etc installed.  February, a year ago, Couch's did all the necessary mods to set up our seven pin connector, brake controller, etc. so  everything was known to be working with the pod when we left the dealership.  (Left the 4-pin alone so it can contintue to be used.)  Obviously, not necessary to do it that way, just a consideration for one stop instead of two.  Joe  Smile

Thanks! I wish, I could do it all in the same location, but a 4800 mi round trip to save shipping on the 176 did not appeal to us very well. Jeff has been nothing but helpful, so I have no doubts that in person he will be a lot more.

The big reveal and stuff would be next weekend, when we get the pod Big smile
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 10:15pm
Kenn - - - You say a 4,800 mile round trip, which sounds like an impressive number and in keeping with your coming from Olympia, WA.  Here we'd always thought we were ambitious making a 2,400 mile round trip between Colorado and Hamilton, OH. After seeing your numbers, it shows that we should have been a bit more humble from the start.  At any rate, have a great trip.  Joe  Smile 
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 1:31am
Joe - We thought about it and having it delivered heavily outweighed the potential savings. Somteimes time is worth more than money. And with being gone every other year the past 5 years, we decided on delivery.

We just came from the Springs and left there last March for AL, then here. I miss going to Mary Jane every weekend. They even sent me a renewal for a season pass. Big smile
wbillar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 10:21am
I have a land-line connection at home.  Is it good just to leave the trailer pugged in all the time so that the battery stays charged?
Bill
WE-2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WE-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

Joe - We thought about it and having it delivered heavily outweighed the potential savings. Somteimes time is worth more than money. And with being gone every other year the past 5 years, we decided on delivery.

We just came from the Springs and left there last March for AL, then here. I miss going to Mary Jane every weekend. They even sent me a renewal for a season pass. Big smile
A favorite quote  "You can always make more money, but you cannot make more time"
Dick & Kyra
2010 174 L'il B'ger
09 Dakota 4.7L       
Hampton, Va.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 11:59am
I believe there have been posts about keeping the Pod plugged in at home.
The converter in the Pod has battery charging abilities when the Pod is "on-grid". (powered by AC), and of course when plugged into Tow Vehicle while towing.
It has a 3 stage charger, which includes a stage that keeps the battery at maxium charge without "over-charging", or harming the battery.

Also, a Deep Cycle battery does need to be (used)discharged to some degree, and then of course re-charged.  What I do (since I have a 12V battery home charger) is remove the battery from the Pod, and put it in my basement and then connect it to the charger and monitor it for a few days. Once fully charged/conditioned I disconnect the charger then let the battery sit for at lease a few days, then test it to see if it retaining the charge. I do this once a month while the Pod is in storage.

If you have the capability of parking the Pod at home, and plugging it in, then in essence this is the same thing Im doing, only the battery is being maintained by the Pod converter unit.
Im not sure, however, if leaving it constantly connected is ok. Disconnecting the battery to test its integrity is recommended, after leaving it "Rest" for at least a day after charging/conditioning.
I have a little device that came with my charger that shows 3 levels of charge, Full-50%-or Dead.

So, I put it on the charger once a month and before we go pick up the Pod for the season.
At that point we should be ok for the season, that is if the battery is able to maintain a full charge for a month then it should be ok for a month of no camping once the battery is returned to the Pod.

Weather conditions do effect this process, so if your keeping the battery in the Pod, and the Pod is always plugged in, then you'll be ok if the battery doesnt mind being charged and maintained by the Pod charger for an extended amout of time.
I would recommend that, if you can, check the battery for charge and if it starts to drop off, then plug the Pod back in to charge/condition the battery. (just keep a close eye on it at first)

Im sure someone with more experience than me will comment on this thread, so check back.
We have some very very smart campers here that luv to help other campers out.
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by PodPatrol PodPatrol wrote:

Im not sure, however, if leaving it constantly connected is ok.

Yes, its fine; no worries.  Feel free to leave it plugged in at home 24/7.  Once the battery is fully charged, the converter goes into 'maintenance' mode to keep the battery topped-up (it acts much like a Battery Tender).  The converter has been designed to take good care of your battery.

Originally posted by PodPatrol PodPatrol wrote:

Disconnecting the battery to test its integrity is recommended, after leaving it "Rest" for at least a day after charging/conditioning

As long as you haven't been putting any major loads on the battery (e.g. a light or two is ok; running the fridge on 12v is not; just after recharging the battery is not), you can cheat and just take a reading right away without disconnecting.  Just turn off everything using 12v, wait a minute or two, and then check your meter.  It'll be close enough for horseshoes.

Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic