r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 1:28pm
Concerning my Jeep Liberty and Tekonsha Prodigy controller.  There are wiring harnesses usually available which allow you to quickly plug the Prodigy into the 'Tow Package' wiring which is installed at the factory.  I decided to have the Prodigy installed at Campers World, instead of trying to do it myself.  I found out that although there is a 'Chrysler wiring adapter'....it doesn't work with a Jeep Liberty!  Even though I had the factory Tow Package...the Liberty did not have the socket for
use with the wiring adapter.  So instead of a 'ten minute' installation, it took nearly one hour
of shop time for the wiring to be run through the firewall to the engine, tap into the necessary wires and to install a circuit breaker.

tsunami
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 4:05pm
I ordered the Honda adapter w/the P3. With the help of a Honda forum, I was able to install it myself in a matter of a few minutes. I found a good path for the wire from the connection to the general area I was putting the P3 mounting brackett. (over steering column and a few obsticules).
I also drilled two holes to mount the brackett. The Honda was pre-wired so the procedure was elementary and quick.
I could only fit one hand under the dash so that was alittle tricky. Ended up cutting my hand too.
The only draw back was when I have the Pod in tow the Honda has no backup lights. I believe that may have been just for our older model of truck.

It surprises me that Jeep would not have this option available, especially with the "factory tow package". There are more Jeeps out there towing stuff than we can count !!
But I understand how these things go with tow vehicles.
msoctopus52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoctopus52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 8:51pm
We have the 177, we put a 30 amp plug out near the garage so that we can keep the rpod plugged in. The battery had gone down to 2 lights before we plugged it in, its been plugged in for 24 hours now and its still at 2 lights. How long does it take for the battery to charge? My husband has been doing some modifications and he has left the refridge on, will having the refridge on slow the recharge time??
Mary
Jeep unlimited
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 9:52pm
We also have a 177 but I think all model pod's have the Dometic 8501 model fridge.
I checked the manual to see the amperage draw for the fridge.  The manual says it draws 130 watts or 10.8 amps on 12 volts and 135 watts or 1.1 amps on 120 volts.  I'm assuming you have the same fridge.

I'm assuming you have the fridge on  120 volts so it shouldn't cause much difference in charging the battery.   If the fridge is on 12V it may take a while.

By the way there is a misprint in the manual.  It says the 8501 draws 1135 watts on 120V.  That would be 9.5 amps.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Tim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 5:37pm

Congratulations on your purchase! It's nice to see another Rpod owner in the Olympia area. We saw just one during our camping trips last year, including our summer trip to the Oregon coast. You'll have alot of fun with your new pod.

Tim

tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 11:09am
My Jeep Liberty is a few years old.  If I were buying a new Liberty, I would check with my dealer to see if the new units have the 'adapter socket' under the dash!  Chrysler always has tried to cut the most corners in cutting costs.  Maybe that's why the company is nose-diving.
tsunami
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 10:58pm
Speaking of fridge, does it automaticcaly convert to whatever source it needs?
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

Speaking of fridge, does it automaticcaly convert to whatever source it needs?

No it doesn't.  You must manually select the source of power.  I am unable to  tell you the procedue but it is relatively simple.  Look at the manual and it will explain it. 
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 11:46pm
On our model there is a button and an indicator for each type of source.

by tapping the button (selector) you cycle through the sources.

Usually Battery, LP, or 120V ( not necessarily in that order )

If we hold down the selector continously the unit will totally power off.

We havent turned it back on yet, so Im assuming we repeat to turn it on.

If you choose a "source" and that source is not available, I believe the source indicator light will flash (blink). *** if there is power available ***

Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 12:47am
Thanks Tim! Maybe we'll see you guys around.

We went and explored the pod again and found that the model we got in the 176 was the manual one. There is an automatic one that's available.

BTW - the pod's battery does not last 9 hours with the fridge 2 main lights and the bathroom lights on. The battery was fully charged when I started the experiment. So, the trick is to figure out how long the battery can last on what devices.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic