r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2010 R-Pod 172

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010 R-Pod 172
    Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 3:29pm
Hello All,

We have been looking for a camper and found the r-pods pretty interesting.  It seems to suit our tastes and perfect for the 3 of us. (me/wife/toddler)

We were looking at a R-pod 172 in Eastern Canada.  It doesn't come with the awning or AC, but the other items are there.

Asking price is 14,900 + tax.

Does this sound reasonable?  Is there any benifit in waiting for the 2011.  Any other comments on suitability etc...

thanks.

bb 
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 3:46pm

It seems high to me.  We paid less then that in American Dollars and we got every option possible except the cover. 

You can do alot better pricewise. 
~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 5:01pm
     I agree it does sound high. We paid in the begining of last year for our 171 about $13,000 including taxes and all options plus cover and battery. It was one of the first trailers and it did have problems the newer trailers have been improved. Check the prices of Couchs RV, you could pick it up or they will deliver. Be paitent and take your time.      David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
cybspod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cybspod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 6:37pm
Actually if it is in canadian dollars it is a regular price. I got mine full equipped at 17 995$ CAD for the 2010 174. And that was the 2009 price. Remember that the cost is different in Canada. Even the gas is more expensive :-)
bernieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 7:36pm
hmm - thanks for the info.  I'm glad I asked.

Well now the cnd $ is higher, it seems the us dealer pricing is much less costly.

locally , including tax and awning - $17,500 cnd

from the US dealer - same model including tax with awning and  AC - converted to cnd  - $ 14,000 cnd

thats 3.5 K difference.  Now Im sure delivery cost to eastern canada would be high - but sounds like a decent road trip if so!

thanks everyone for your assistance.
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 10:28pm
The transportation cost by one dealer is $1.00 per mile one way( they only charge one way)  and they deliver to the border if I am correct.  If you would want more info Private Message me. 
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 10:48pm
Bernie,

We paid $13,895 before tax...It included every option possible...AC/convection microwave/rdome.
We bought a 2010 RPod 177.

We looked around here (closest dealer was about 110 miles)  and everyone was asking msrp...about $19,000.  So, we drove 5.5 hours each way to save about $5,000.  It was more then worth it and we were happy with the service of the dealer we bought it from.  We also have had nothing but possitive contact since. 

I think the best advice is to look around.  If you have a dealer closer who will meet or come close to a dealer that is 8 hours away, then try that.  To us, it was worth it and we did not mind the drive at all.  But, I know not everyone has that option or the time to drive the distance.
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by bernieb bernieb wrote:

Asking price is 14,900 + tax.

For an asking price in Canadian funds, that sounds about right. 

Please don't be afraid to negotiate with your dealer.  This isn't a supermarket and the prices aren't fixed.

Your first offer should be about $12,900 and the negotiated price should be $13,500-$14,000.  Alternatively, have them throw in the air conditioner and r-dome and settle for $14,900 (this would be my preferred option in this deal).

Personally, I prefer to have a local dealer that you can trust to do maintenance and warranty work.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 11:09pm
Our closest dealer was about 110 miles away.  But, we did have the furnace issue when we got back home with the R-pod.   We ended up calling and getting a Forrest River authorized dealer/repair that did not sell R-pods.  However, they knew about them and they did a fine job for us.  We were actually glad that they didn't sell R-pods so there would be no hard feelings on their part.

And...they knew all about where we bought the R-Pod.  They seemed to know it was the place to go.  I believe to quote the one guy, "they sell a boatload of them". 
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 12:28pm
We paid $11,995 for our 2010 172 from Couch's last July.  It included all of the options.

Canadian vs. US is almost equal so the only difference should be shipping to the dealer site, awning and AC.  If that costs $3,000,it's a good deal. 

You can always offer less.  My rule of thumb is "they can't say NO if you don't ask"

Hope it works out.  We have three in our family and it works perfect.

Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic