r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swaying rpod - what to do when it happens?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swaying rpod - what to do when it happens?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 8:33pm
I've searched the forums on the subject of sway- not what to buy to prevent it, but what to do if it happens to you while driving. We've had our pod for about a year and never had an issue with sway, until it happened on the interstate recently and scared us to death. We slowed down and got off the highway, then resumed speed and everything seemed fine. Can someone tell me what to do when it happens? I'm sure the brake controller must be involved? 
Terri, Denver CO
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 8:41pm
Feet off the pedals (no brake, no gas) and manually activate the brake on the brake controller (on my Prodigy, there's a slider underneath the readout).  Don't jerk it; just steadily increase power.  The trailer will come in line quickly.

However, "scared us to death" is not a good reaction while towing.  For a few hundred dollars, you might want to consider investing in a sway bar.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Terri Terri wrote:

Can someone tell me what to do when it happens?
Yes, buy a sway control so it doesn't happen again. If it scared you to death, you ended up pretty lucky . . . this time. We want you around here podding with us for a long time.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
rod pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rod pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 8:08am
The problem may be a result of not enough tongue weight, you should have over 10% of the total weight and as many countries require your tow vehicle should be as heavy as the trailer (large trucks exempt). I have had a 2 plus lane push/sway before, I had my bride pushing on the brake controller over-ride while I pushed on the gas pedal to straighten out the trailer. I then changed clothes and moved more weight forward on the trailer.
rod pod 
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 8:06pm
Thanks everyone- I appreciate both your knowledge and your concern :-)
Terri, Denver CO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic